I/O autopilot solution-octopus/sitex110

Blasi019

I/O autopilot solution-octopus/sitex110

Hello all!

I thought I would share my story of reasearching and installing my autopilot in my sea ray amberjack with a mercruiser I/O. Having an I/O seems to really limit your choices for autopilots without steering modifications which can cost a lot of money. After lots of research I finally went with the octopus drive and sitex 110 controller. I have to say this was the best money I have ever spent. It truly is a quality autopilot and works flawlessly. You can purchase the entire package for less than 2k. I will say I had to change my steering cable as I had rack and pinion but honestly on an older boat it's not a bad idea to do it anyway. As someone who doesn't work on his own boat nor a lot about mechanics in general I still was able to do this all by myself. It took me about 8 hours total time, however now that I have done it, I could complete in as little as 4 hours. I share this because if anyone is looking or nervous to do it themselves please reach out to me. You can do it and I'll share as much of my experience as you need.  I will also say that the techs at sitex were wonderful and very helpful. Hope this helps anyone looking for a similar setup. Please let me know if you have any questions!  

Well I have a Sea Ray also, and I have power assist I guess? I have a power steering pump and a rack type Assy. In the back. I never really looked at the actual steering mechanism, but an auto pilot has been in the back of my mind. But it always sounded a bit more involved than I felt comfortable doing myself, and I can't see paying a marinea more than I paid for the unit itself. Things brings a little more self confidence!! So first I need to get my but moving on a kicker, either fix mine, or find another. So thanks for this post!! I really appreciated this post!! :yes::yes:

I think the Lowrance outboard Pilot Cable-Steer Pack is using the Octopus motor so I can see a Gen-2 or Gen-3 with the cable steer pack for a AP. 

Helm-1 -1 Cable-steer helm drive unit 000-11771-001 
This drive unit replaces your manual helm-drive unit on single cable installations. Compatible with Morse 290, 304411 and Teleflex SSC52 cables. Includes voltage rudder-feedback sensor, and is only compatible with NAC-1.

Diversion...yes I sure will. I'll get them part numbers and descriptions up by tomorrow. Just got home from work so sorry for the late reply. 

Pap..you can totally do it!  I have power assist and had rack and pinion just like you. All I had to do was replace the steering cable to the power assist and everything else came with the autopilot kit. 

Will post updates tomorrow for more details

SI-TEX SP-110 System w/Rudder Feedback & Type S Mechanical Dash Drive... [SP110RF-3]....this is your complete autopilot package from sitex. It includes you helm drive unit, sitex 110 controller/computer, and rudder reference sensor which is factory mounted on the drive. 

I also had to purchase a new steering cable...there are quite a few choices out there. I opted for the sea star ssc6221. The last two numbers are just the length of the cable which will be different for everyone.  Remember if already have a rotary drive helm, your existing steering cable may be plug and play. Because I had rack and pinion I had to remove my helm setup and replace he steering cable. If you do have rack and pinion and need to replace the steering cable I found that 1 foot longer than my old existing cable length was just about perfect. 

The thing that scared me the most was making sure I had enough room behind the dash for he new drive unit. I did have to make some cuts from the bathroom side of the helm to properly give clearance however I will cover up the cuts with a covered piece of wood and nobody will ever know the difference. 

One other note...my boat steering whee had a square style shaft coming out of the rack and pinion helm. This will not work with the octopus drive shaft. I found a used slortcraft steering wheel exactly the same size and style of mine on eBay for 30 bucks shipped. It's the round 3/4 inch tapered shaft style. Most newer boats will have them standard in their helms I believe. 

• 5 years later...
On 9/7/2017 at 10:46 PM, Blasi019 said:

SI-TEX SP-110 System w/Rudder Feedback & Type S Mechanical Dash Drive... [SP110RF-3]....this is your complete autopilot package from sitex. It includes you helm drive unit, sitex 110 controller/computer, and rudder reference sensor which is factory mounted on the drive. 

I also had to purchase a new steering cable...there are quite a few choices out there. I opted for the sea star ssc6221. The last two numbers are just the length of the cable which will be different for everyone.  Remember if already have a rotary drive helm, your existing steering cable may be plug and play. Because I had rack and pinion I had to remove my helm setup and replace he steering cable. If you do have rack and pinion and need to replace the steering cable I found that 1 foot longer than my old existing cable length was just about perfect. 

The thing that scared me the most was making sure I had enough room behind the dash for he new drive unit. I did have to make some cuts from the bathroom side of the helm to properly give clearance however I will cover up the cuts with a covered piece of wood and nobody will ever know the difference. 

One other note...my boat steering whee had a square style shaft coming out of the rack and pinion helm. This will not work with the octopus drive shaft. I found a used slortcraft steering wheel exactly the same size and style of mine on eBay for 30 bucks shipped. It's the round 3/4 inch tapered shaft style. Most newer boats will have them standard in their helms I believe. 

You wouldn’t by chance still be on here would ya? I just bought a 1988 amberjack 270 and have questions!