Pipe style downrigger weight

Sorry was trying to figure out how to post a picture but I can't open the file with the instructions on my phone.

Basically it is a copper, galvanized, or stainless pipe roughly 14" long 1.5" diameter filled with lead, and an eye hook on top. That set up should yield roughly a 10' weight give or take.

From the little I can find on them they have very little blowback and work well near the bottom as they are harder to hang up.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I use 10 lbd window weights quite frequently wich are similar to what you are looking to use. They are about 18 inches long or so. They do work well for dragging bottom and yes they do not hang up as easy as normal ball shaped weights. As far as a lot of blow back they do have more blow back but if you are dragging bottom I'm not sure how much the blow back really comes into play. I know that in the west they use cylinder shaped weights for fishing for salmon fishing in lakes with a lot of structure for the reason of less. Chance of hang ups on bottom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Pap eventually I will end up with some torpedoes. I have seen a bunch of great stuff on here about the ones made by the guys on the site.

I guess the answer to your question would be that sometimes I just help tinkering with things when I have unused stuff laying around that I can repurpose into something else.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nothing wrong with what you have going on!! Maybe you could manufacture a cone on the front and weld a rudder like peice on the rear to make it run true. Most all my stuff I have I either made or had made, I certainly can afford a $1000.00 every time I see something I think, how could I do this on my own. I'd lay in bed at night and a idea pops into my head and I get out of bed and make a rough draft. The next day I'd go at it, sometimes I succeeded and others just looked like $hit. Good luck with your prodject!!!  PAP!!

If you just want to drag bottom for lakers , I took a finned cannon ball drilled a small hole in bottom ( careful lead hangs up the drill bit ). I then put a screw eye  in hole , made a mono line up with snap hooked to old logging chain, dropped that to bottom if it hung up only lost the chain and a snap.

If you just want to drag bottom for lakers , I took a finned cannon ball drilled a small hole in bottom ( careful lead hangs up the drill bit ). I then put a screw eye  in hole , made a mono line up with snap hooked to old logging chain, dropped that to bottom if it hung up only lost the chain and a snap.

Great idea!! I'm going to give this a try

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I made some 1.5x12" they did have less blow back but I saw a lot of turbulence coming off/ behind  them on my sonar the entire length of the weight which I figured might spook the fish.   They weigh 11# ea.

Check out u-tube video. "How to stack two rods on your Downrigger" by Kokanee kid fishing.  He shows a pipe wt.

Edited by lineman49