spinnerbaits for toothy critters?

spinnerbaits for toothy critters?

Hi,

I thought I’d try and add spinnerbaits to my plan of attack for toothy critters. I had a lots of issues with the spinnerbait getting all tangled up. I could only get it to fish correctly by retrieving it immediately after the cast (or even stopping it in mid-air and then start retrieving the spinnerbait). If I let it sink to try and fish it deeper or hesitated before reeling it in the spinnerbait gets tangled up in a mess.  

How do you fishing spinnerbaits, (never used one before yesterday).

Thank you,

Try to avoid slack in the line. Stop line from going out just before or just as the lure hits the water. Keep the slack out of the line as it is sinking to avoid having the bait helicopter on the way down. If you want it to stay just below the surface, you need to start cranking just as it hits the water. Many spinnerbaits are designed to be retrieved just below the surface or just above the weeds. Some heavier ones are designed to work deeper but you have to keep the slack out of the line as it is sinking. Sometimes you may even need to reel very slowly as it is sinking to keep it from tangling and then speed up when it is at the desirable depth. You can even give them a yo-yo action by varying retrieval speed (stop or slow way down to let it sink and then speed back up but keep slack out of line as it is sinking). Casting into the wind can cause more tangling, especially because of using a leader. Some leaders may cause more problems than others.

I generally like to use them just above weeds that are 6" to 3 or 4 feet below the surface or through patchy weed and along weed edges. With the single hooks pointing up, they can go through some weeds without snagging on them and sometimes bumping weeds will trigger a strike. A heavier head will be able to go deeper and/or can be retrieved faster. The type and size of the blade will also affect how deep it will go. Colorado blades will generally go deeper and give more vibration. Willow blades will stay higher for working just under the surface and provide more flash. What the hook(s) is dressed with can also affect the depth and ability to cast in wind. And then there are trailer hooks and various plastic trailers such as grubs. You can play around with all these things to get the attributes you want for the water you are fishing.