Lake Ontario Canadian side Sept. 9 - where?

Lake Ontario Canadian side Sept. 9 - where?

I'm heading out Saturday morning in my Hobie Outback pedal kayak with a couple of other guys in similar boats to troll/cast for salmon, or steelhead if there are any around. I haven't seen any recent reports of fish. We're game to go anywhere from Bronte eastward as far as Port Hope. Port Credit, Humber, Cherry Beach for the Leslie St. spit, Pickering, Whitby, Oshawa, or anywhere else there are fish. We might keep one or two but are mostly C&R. Any suggestions?

All I can say RR is that, unless the water temps cool down to low 60's or upper 50's, your chances of catching anything will be slim to none. The fish are there, within casting range but not very lure happy. I been out at Port Credit with my pontoon, marking. Fish but not interested. Usually east is better but with the recent rains, muddies up the water at the river mouths so you need to find colder water and cleaner water which might happen by Saturday if we get the North winds. Last night the surface temps were around 67F near shore out east end, not much better around Bronte or Credit, that is too warm for salmon to be chassis spoons or cranks. Good luck, I might go out Saturday evening somewhere out east, if water temps go down.

Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I usually keep my eye on the surface temps around the area where I want to fish. I use "Coastwatch" on my phone to determine what the surface temps are like, close to shore shows around 66-67F all over north shore, way too warm for my liking, best is between 55-62F, than those fish will hit, otherwise you will be washing spoons.

Adrian

RR, the thing with coastwatch is that it's a satellite reading. If you see the colour grey or black, usually it's cloudy outside and the readings are not what they truly are, when it's white, usually it's a sunny/clear day and surface temps are correct. Today they look misleading and are not accurate.

What do you guys use for weather forecasts? I went to Bronte last week because Weather Network predicted winds of >20 km/h out of the North all day. I got there at about 9 pm to dead calm. Not a sign of life, and the guys I talked to on the pier said the same thing - expected big north winds and there was nothing.

Weather network for winds. But I've been screwed before last week when I wanted to get out at Port Hope with pontoon and instead of N winds, I got SW which prevented me from going out. Go figure. Ended up getting one in the marina.

Spent 4 hours in my kayak at Port Hope today. Surface temp over 25' of water was 13 C or 56 F but never even marked a fish on my fishfinder. No other boats either. They must have checked it out and vacated earlier. Maybe too early. If anyone has any info please report on this forum and I'll do the same.

Went to hope on Saturday night fished all night between mouth and the train bridge (only open zone in hope at night) and caught 4 fish for 5. They were there but there was an hour or so where I caught three where a school came through. Most were getting dark suggesting that they were in there for a while

Glad you had some luck, Spenny. I encourage us all to keep this type of info flowing for the benefit of everyone. Lake Ontario is a big lake and there are plenty of fish in it for all of us if we can just find them. Particularly those of us in human-powered craft. Thanks a lot.

• Sad 1