Wautoma Shoal 8/23.

The day started on a sour note when the power cable to the fish finder broke. I had planned to troll for trout and and salmon this morning. Trolled around blindly for a hour or until deciding to increase my odds of catching something and parked on the shoal.

Landed a 4 pound smallie right away and could see three others follow the bait up to the side of the boat (incredible water clarity today) but couldn't get them to go for it.

The real bonus of the day was the perch fishing. I must have boated 20 or more one right after the next. Most were between 10-12".

I'm guessing I was in about 12' of water most of the day, but really don't know for sure. Great day on the lake. I'm off to look for a new power cable!

Way to make it happen! :P

I busted my transducer off at the beach in that wind last weekend, but I think I salvaged it with guerilla glue and zip tie ;) .

I'll be out at the shoals all of Labor day weekend with the same game plan as you pointed out (trolling for monsters, then bass/perch program). We're thinkin about camping out on Roses Marsh beach if the weather cooperates!

We went out on Sunday as well (lake was like glass all day) and trolled in what I am guessing was about 120' of water for the big guys... Really hard trolling blind. We just cozied up to some other boats in the area and ran a few different depths but our improvization turned up nada. The guys near us boated at least one that we saw.

Moved back in on the shoal and the perch were still more than happy to cooperate! My son caught a decent size smallie too. Just drop shotting red woms and the occasional minnow. Tried the new Gulp Gobies for a while but the live bait was far more productive.

The lake has been a little too active since Sunday for our little boat. Hoping it slows down by the weekend so we can get back out there.

so the minnows did well too... maybe I'll find a bait catcher since we plan on staying out there a night or two. I usually use tube jigs and plastic craws, but the perch love live bait. Hopefully the big o will settle down after the impending storm slated for Thursday... Cya out there!