Tight lipped perch on seneca?

Perch fishermen in general keep info to themselves or close buddies and for a variety of reasons....it is a very different fishery than trout and salmon fishing with them vulnerable to being decimated because they cluster together so luck in finding valid current info may be limited at best. The ice fishing debacle at Sampson is a good example why this is so. A couple years ago during the Fall I and another guy (unknown to me) were fishing in a well known place for perch and were hammering them all morning throwing back the large spawner females (over 12-15 inches) and keeping the 10-12 inchers while most folks were out hunting. About noon a truck shows up with three young guys in it and they see us catching the perch.The first thing they do is get on their cell phones and within an hour and a half their were about 20 plus guys fishing right next to us and every available spot near us. Next day there were several dozen guys there when we arrived just before at dawn and we couldn't even fish near our desired spots and they were keeping every perch they caught large or small:envy: The next week only a couple perch were there.

Edited by Sk8man

7 hours ago, land locked said:

Tight lipped perch on seneca?

Just wondering if anyone is having any luck. We have been able to find them but can't seem to get any numbers only around 15 a trip 

What's tight lipped ?  The perch or the reports ?

11 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Perch fishermen in general keep info to themselves or close buddies and for a variety of reasons....it is a very different fishery than trout and salmon fishing with them vulnerable to being decimated because they cluster together so luck in finding valid current info may be limited at best. The ice fishing debacle at Sampson is a good example why this is so. A couple years ago during the Fall I and another guy (unknown to me) were fishing in a well known place for perch and were hammering them all morning throwing back the large spawner females (over 12-15 inches) and keeping the 10-12 inchers while most folks were out hunting. About noon a truck shows up with three young guys in it and they see us catching the perch.The first thing they do is get on their cell phones and within an hour and a half their were about 20 plus guys fishing right next to us and every available spot near us. Next day there were several dozen guys there when we arrived just before at dawn and we couldn't even fish near our desired spots and they were keeping every perch they caught large or small:envy: The next week only a couple perch were there.

I hear you I'm not looking for anyone's spot. I've gone down to 4# line and smaller hook's different bait anything I can think of with not much luck guess I'll just keep at it.

Not biting... They come up and look at the bait and swim away... if your getting 15 a trip your doing good. The guys I talked to are getting the same... you won't get many people to give up there secrets. I fished Sampson all winter last year. Very slow I guess from what I have heard.

Sent from my SM-J100VPP using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If you do happen to catch a keeper cut open its stomach and take a look at what it was feeding on. Often you will find them stuffed with something (tiny crayfish or freshwater shrimp etc.) and that may go a long way in explaining the looking but not biting behavior.Not sure how deep you are fishing for them but iof relatively shallow go deeper as they may be just now moving in closer.....still a little early for the numbers to be in shallow. That's it....I don't want my buddies to lynch me:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 6:56 AM, land locked said:

I hear you I'm not looking for anyone's spot. I've gone down to 4# line and smaller hook's different bait anything I can think of with not much luck guess I'll just keep at it.

I don't know much about Seneca perch but I did a LOT of calico/crappie fishing down home. I would be doing good on them and then lite bite and miss. I found out a school of perch would come in and to get them to hit better they needed some meat on the hook.

I love perch as much as anyone, but I don't understand this  hard headed preoccupation  with the perch fishing at Seneca, and guys beating the water to death trying for them.. So many other lakes with good perch fishing,  as well as big fat sunnies,rock bass, Crappies, bullheads etc..
  Jeez, if you fish owasco or skaneateles, in 20-25 FOW with just worms, you should have no trouble finding a few dozen  mixed panfish, including lots of perch  of really decent size.. Yes you don't see the 2 pounders you do in seneca sometimes, but to me there is nothing wrong with foot long perch with nice thick shoulders, along with  bull bluegills and pumpkinseeds..
I catch a lot of very nice   panfish these days, and no longer bother with Seneca, and beating myself up trying to scare up a few  big perch..
 the other lakes are giving up plenty.. No, not the Seneca giants, but still great fishing.

I guess I never found the need to catch 25 2 pound perch every time  I fished..   8 or 10  decent size perch and some big sunnies are  more than enough for my needs...I  guess i am just getting old, but when fishing becomes too  much like hunting, i simply  switch to easier prey... bob

Edited by bulletbob