Anybody own a Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220?

Rookie Fisherman

18 minutes ago, starweld20 said:

I have a friend of mine that just got rid of the one he just bought after having it out one time. I'd be happy to try and answer your questions. And if I can't I might be able to get you in touch with my friend and he can try to help as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Ok I'll bite...why did he get rid of it after one time out?

Edited by rookie fisherman

Nose heavy. Took water over bow just trolling in 1-3's. It was the demo from a marina in Ohio and had some small things that needed addressed and after we took it out he decided that between the things that needed addressed and the water over the bow issue due prob to poor weight displacement for the electric trolling motor setup he was going to go another route. We were also on Erie with it and I could see it handling a little different on lake o due to the longer rolling waves vs the constant large chop.

6 minutes ago, Bullet said:

I have. 220 Searunner.

Sweet boat Bullet! 

Hard or soft?

At first I was considering the SR but the OP has a little more beam and bottom width.

How do you feel the Seaunner handles Lake O on a rough day? 

I have an 2012 18' Tracker Targa now with 8'6" beam and I am reluctant to go to a narrower boat. Keeping the Targa for the smaller lakes though.

2 minutes ago, starweld20 said:

His was also a 240 not a 220. Sorry for the size mistake.

Hey thanks for the reply Starweld

He had a 240 with a electric trolling motor? Big boat for a bow mount. Was it a hard top or soft? Extended Transom?

It had the trailerable soft top. Extended transom. I'll see if I still have a photo of it. It was setup like that as a demo model. I agree a boat like that would be better suited without a bow mount esp 112 lb 36 volt. Those batteries are not light. I have a 24v system on mine and best guess is that just the batteries alone prob weigh 150 lbs between the two. But mine are also not located basically dead in the nose. They are more centered in the boat. The hewes cockpit is pushed way forward and any extra weight up there could be an issue I think.

16 minutes ago, starweld20 said:

IMG_1350.JPGIMG_1351.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hey thank for the pics. Just cant see that boat taking waves over the bow in 1-3's. With the ET its almost 26' of hull. Maybe the added weight of 3 batteries was just enough. What boat did your buddy end up going to?

I have the soft top. I'm the second owner. My boat was used in the Florida keys and Lake O only. I have fished in 7 footers with it and never have had any issues with it is handling rough water. All my friend including two charter captains want to buy it, if I ever sell it. Customer service at Hewes is second to nobody! You always get a person not an answering machine or deal direct through emails.

1 hour ago, Bullet said:

I have the soft top. I'm the second owner. My boat was used in the Florida keys and Lake O only. I have fished in 7 footers with it and never have had any issues with it is handling rough water. All my friend including two charter captains want to buy it, if I ever sell it. Customer service at Hewes is second to nobody! You always get a person not an answering machine or deal direct through emails.

Fished in 7 footers...You got bigger balls then me :)

Have heard nothing but great things about customer service at Hewes.

Probably going to fly out to Portland next month as its really the best place to see the different models & variations, plus its a cool city. 

I'l love to see how you have the back set up if you have any pics?

Edited by rookie fisherman

Hey thank for the pics. Just cant see that boat taking waves over the bow in 1-3's. With the ET its almost 26' of hull. Maybe the added weight of 3 batteries was just enough. What boat did your buddy end up going to?

I fallow what your saying. I'd have never believed it had I not seen it myself. My friend is and engineer and he did some math I guess and it worked out to be like a 500 lb difference based on the center of the boat and how far th batteries were from that point. Do I think they are a good boat. Yes. Would I but one setup differently. Prob so. Do I think there are other options that provide the same or better performance for less money. Yes I also believe that. He hasn't decided yet. But I think he's leaning toward going back to a Starcraft. This time either a 196 or 210 fishmaster

I went to Cook's Inlet Alaska to look at them. My boat is a 1999 but is still solid in every way. I added Raymarine MFD's and autopilot. It tracks perfectly. I didn't choose to fish 7 footers but went out in 3-5 that swelled. Point is I didn't have any difficulty getting home safely. I had a Tracker and Lund boat previously. They don't compare.

15 minutes ago, starweld20 said:

I fallow what your saying. I'd have never believed it had I not seen it myself. My friend is and engineer and he did some math I guess and it worked out to be like a 500 lb difference based on the center of the boat and how far th batteries were from that point. Do I think they are a good boat. Yes. Would I but one setup differently. Prob so. Do I think there are other options that provide the same or better performance for less money. Yes I also believe that. He hasn't decided yet. But I think he's leaning toward going back to a Starcraft. This time either a 196 or 210 fishmaster

Thank you for the feedback. Much appreciated!

25 minutes ago, Bullet said:

I went to Cook's Inlet Alaska to look at them. My boat is a 1999 but is still solid in every way. I added Raymarine MFD's and autopilot. It tracks perfectly. I didn't choose to fish 7 footers but went out in 3-5 that swelled. Point is I didn't have any difficulty getting home safely. I had a Tracker and Lund boat previously. They don't compare.

Thank you for the feedback. Very much appreciated! 

I have a Tracker now and its been a good boat but want a little bigger boat and more room to fish at the back. The Hewescraft layout is perfect for what I am looking for.

I am tossed between the rigid framed soft top ant the full hard top. The soft top provides better rod storage in the  gunwales, the hard top has storage there as well but not as much for rods. Really need to go where I can see side by side.

Thx again 

The new soft top is nice because you don't have to tear it down to trailer the boat. You just hit on the reason I like my boat over the Tracker and Lund , much better fish ability for big water fishing. Not to mention they are very easy to work on. Have fun making your decisions.

They are an awesome looking boat!.. I have a 196 Starcraft fishmaster. It's my second one as the first burnt in a garage fire... I would buy the same again for the money. I understand that the hulls are thicker now as both of mine leak around the rivets and have lost rivits. My newer one is an 09. The 21' fishmaster doesn't displace much water and the wind blows it all over plus the ride isn't as good... I know you are looking at Hewes but here's a little comparison input. Good luck with your shopping!

Sent from my Pixel using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I had a 240 OP rigid frame soft top.  The frame of the soft top puddles water that later drips on you, as the hull is overly nose heavy and will not run with a high attitude on the bow to clear waves, even with a 250 hp engine.  Keep in mind they were designed for saltwater and don't have the same freeboard in freshwater.  Other owners describe them as submarining in the great Lakes and recommend the hard top for that reason.

The ride is very wet and rough compared to a 196 fishmaster or superfishman with 19 degree dead rise and reverse chine. Doesn't compare at all in ride to a 23 ft to 28 ft fiberglass boat from pursuit, seaswirl, grady, sportcraft, bayliner, etc.  I've fished British Columbia, Alaska and Washington waters for salmon.  There are islands, bays and coves to break up the wind there.  In the middle of Lake Ontario, it's just open with no place to run, hide, or shelter from weather.

You may also like a raider, north river, or Duckworth boat if you like the hewescraft layout.  The Duckworth have reverse chine design, which offers a drier ride in the variable seas the great Lakes are known for.  I've fished raiders before and they were not as nose heavy as the 240 OP.

If I can answer any further questions, feel free to message me.

Good luck in your decision.

MW243

First, Thank you for the feedback

I assume that the boat in the pictures above was yours? Do you think the 3 large batteries in the bow contributed to the problem you experienced? If they were group 31 between the battery weight and the trolling motor had to be close to 250-260 pounds.

"Other owners describe them as submarining in the great Lakes and recommend the hard top for that reason"

Can you elaborate as I have spoke with a couple other owners now and have not heard this before..  

Are you saying its a known issue? Makes me re-think my choice.

Unfortunately there is no where on Lake Ontario that I can go run one. 

I have looked at (online) the other West Coast boats you mentioned as well as Kingfisher. Simply like the layout of these style boats.

Really want to stay with an Aluminum boat as it will be towed a lot. If I went glass I think Parker or Steiger would be what I would look at first. I almost pulled the trigger on a used 2359 Trophy because it was a steal, just didn't love the layout.  

Thx