Anybody own a Hewescraft Ocean Pro 220?

Rookie Fisherman

24 minutes ago, twinmotors said:

Too bad you weren't in Olcott last weekend... Lake Erie marine sells them and took a demo up for salmon... Could have tried one out!

Sent from my Pixel using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That would have been great. Although I was in CT at a wedding anyway....Oh well.

Three group 31 batteries, plus minnkota second alternator, plus on board three bank charger, plus bow mount motor were certainly contributing. If all the weight was set in the rear it would be a significant change. In my opinion the 240 op is going to be more nose heavy than the 220 or any of the sea runners simply due to the longer moment arm to the single outboard. No matter how far back you trimmed the bow would not rise enough to clear waves. Have run similar heavy hull welded aluminum in salt water and never had as much of a concern. The ride is rough, but if you prefer it over a parker or steigerctaft, go for it. It all depends who you talk to and what conditions they fish...one man's rough seas is another's walleye chop. Make sure you test drive in a heavy blow before buying is my advice. Also, may want to check the welds of a model with ten plus years on the great Lakes with a dye penetrant examination, for possible signs of stress crack formation. Of course that would be under warranty but it's a long way to Washington for a repair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

8 hours ago, mw243 said:

Three group 31 batteries, plus minnkota second alternator, plus on board three bank charger, plus bow mount motor were certainly contributing. If all the weight was set in the rear it would be a significant change. In my opinion the 240 op is going to be more nose heavy than the 220 or any of the sea runners simply due to the longer moment arm to the single outboard. No matter how far back you trimmed the bow would not rise enough to clear waves. Have run similar heavy hull welded aluminum in salt water and never had as much of a concern. The ride is rough, but if you prefer it over a parker or steigerctaft, go for it. It all depends who you talk to and what conditions they fish...one man's rough seas is another's walleye chop. Make sure you test drive in a heavy blow before buying is my advice. Also, may want to check the welds of a model with ten plus years on the great Lakes with a dye penetrant examination, for possible signs of stress crack formation. Of course that would be under warranty but it's a long way to Washington for a repair.

What you are saying regarding the weight makes sense to me. If I go with a 220 OP it will be new or late model used (if i can find the right one). I really like the Steigers & Parkers. The factors for me are tow-ability, lay out (have to go a bit bigger in the glass boat to get the same room) and of course cost. I appreciate all of the feedback and information. So what are you running now?

Thx    

11 minutes ago, MCF said:

Just a question, have you looked at the American Angler series by Smokercraft?-they are their west coast line.

Not in person. I have had a couple of Smokers in the past. The 222 Offshore is only a 94" beam. Not sure what the bottom width of the hull is compared to the Hewes. Certainly this boat would be less money and leave more for electronics etc but I don't believe its on the same level either.

I have an 18' boat now with a 8'6" beam. Really didn't want to go narrower.

Would be interested to know if anyone has one or any experience with one.

Thx

This topic is of interest because I was in the exact same frame of mind as you are. So, two years ago I went to Portland Oregon and went to about 8 or 9 different dealerships. I actually test drove a Thunderjet Luxor and a 22 ft Ocean Pro.  The problem with testing out there is it is on a river which is pretty calm.  I believe the Thunderjet is much nicer with respect to fit and finish. I liked the OP too but it wasn't finished as well.

I really liked  the Duckworths and also the Alumawelds. The Kingfisher and the Raider are the least well appointed with respect to fit and finish.  I ended up buying a like new Parker 232 SL, from a person in western PA. It saved me about $30k. It is a wide open platform. the sides are a little low so I used my traxstech to raise it up. it is heavy also, and a little less convenient to haul around, but it is still definitely a go anywhere boat.  I also was aboard a Steigercraft in Maryland and I don't think it is on par with the Parker.....

I would like to know what you end up getting, so keep us posted.

PS. I still have a hankering for the Thunderjet, and maybe someday???

I'm just catching fish from mercury powered tracker currently, not really an "offshore" boat.  I'm in the market looking for a Defiance, Parker, Grady, Pursuit, Albermarle or similar.  The problem is, there is very little market around here to shop or deal with, as I'm sure you are aware.  Anytime I'm in FL or even Maryland there are vastly more choices and dealers to talk to than around here.  For aluminum boats, I'd second one of the starcraft 19 degree deadrise hulls as mentioned earlier here, but they are smaller than what you are probably looking for.

The Hewsecraft Ocean Pro would be great if you want a big boat but aren't concerned with rough water performance.  Keep in mind, the great lakes is nothing more than a secondary market to them.  They constantly advertise as being the most popular boat in "Alaska", where most of the fishing I've seen is within sight of shore, often in inner passage ways.  The boats are designed to run in saltwater.  The 240 OP is worse than the 220 OP for being bow heavy because the helm to bow distance was maintained on the 240, the same is with their core design 220.  This "forward justified" layout as they call it in their literature makes it difficult for a single outboard to lift and give you a good attitude on your bow in rough seas, especially in freshwater.  Its obvious they have a rather limited dealer network around the great lakes with very little in the way of actual dealers with mechanical / welding repair capabilities in this region.  The hulls were never developed for nor tested on the great lakes.    

In the end, you have to make our choice and my only recommendation is to drive it in a good north wind before putting your money down on one.  Make up your own mind as to whether the boat inspires confidence as compared to a Grady or Parker.  If you only plan to fish on fair weather days, it may be a decent choice for the amount of room offered. At the end of the day, its a bow heavy 15 degree deadrise boat that tows easy for its size.  

49 minutes ago, RodBuster said:

This topic is of interest because I was in the exact same frame of mind as you are. So, two years ago I went to Portland Oregon and went to about 8 or 9 different dealerships. I actually test drove a Thunderjet Luxor and a 22 ft Ocean Pro.  The problem with testing out there is it is on a river which is pretty calm.  I believe the Thunderjet is much nicer with respect to fit and finish. I liked the OP too but it wasn't finished as well.

I really liked  the Duckworths and also the Alumawelds. The Kingfisher and the Raider are the least well appointed with respect to fit and finish.  I ended up buying a like new Parker 232 SL, from a person in western PA. It saved me about $30k. It is a wide open platform. the sides are a little low so I used my traxstech to raise it up. it is heavy also, and a little less convenient to haul around, but it is still definitely a go anywhere boat.  I also was aboard a Steigercraft in Maryland and I don't think it is on par with the Parker.....

The parker is certainly a sweet boat! Sounds like you got a great deal as well. Love to see a pic of how you set up the back.

There is a guide over in Mexico (Irish Knots) with a 25 parker. I drool a little bit every time I see him on the water.

I am also considering going out to Portland as its the best area to see a lot of these aluminum boats. I have a ton of Southwest points so the flight is free, unless I buy a boat while I am there :)

I am fishing out of a 18' Tracker Targa so which ever way I go will be an upgrade. Although the Tracker has been great I just want a little bigger and more room at the back of the boat. 

I run a 22 foot Alumaweld Intruder, while it does sit nose heavy I haven't had any issues with it. I can trim the nose up with no problem, it does have a 225 and 9.9 on the back. I don't have an electric trolling motor on the front. It has a couple modifications like a hard top and 175 gallon fuel tank.IMG_1458.thumb.JPG.bf15962fb310b25ea7d79d5d0ad8b5de.JPGIMG_2006.thumb.PNG.df1bf3d2c434b37492a997b9ef0bc0a7.PNG

2 hours ago, RodBuster said:

The Thunder Jet Alexis 22 could be contender! Wide deep boat 18 degrees bottom at transom w/reverse chine. I will have to do little more looking at these . 

Hewescraft and Alumaweld are the cats ass in aluminum boats. But the problem is I live in Central NY and the closest dealer is in Ohio as far as Hewescraft goes...and alumaweld dealer is even farther I believe. Please quote me if I am wrong. Kind of a deal breaker if you have to travel quite a distance for service.  

• 2 weeks later...
On September 15, 2017 at 0:11 PM, RodBuster said:

I am taking a hard look at the ThunderJet after reading your post. Looking at the Alexis 22 Off shore though not the Luxor.

For a 22' the specs are great. Variable deadrise with 18° at transom,  8'6" Beam with 84" Bottom. 40" side walls, upswept bow. If you have one built the options are endless plus they will customize for you (for a fee of course). The welding work looks as good as anything I have seen.

The hard top version is a little goofy looking in my opinion but I am sure I can get past that for function.

Flying out west Oct 24th to look at this and a couple other boats ill report back when I get home.

alexis_os_maxxum_welded_aluminum_boat_(2).jpg

14 minutes ago, mw243 said:

What dealers are you dealing with out west and do they ship?

Actually talking with a few dealers. Between Oregon & Washington there are dozens of dealers that sell these style boats. So in a couple hours drive from Portland airport in almost any direction there are many dealers.

There are some closer to home but no body has any real inventory selection to look at. First step is to look at them figure out which boat I like the best then shop that make/model. I do like the TJ but haven't seen in person yet.

Any of them can arrange shipment. I did a Mock bid for shipment on U-ship for a 22 Hewes from Portland OR to Saratoga NY. Lowest bid was $2800 before I pulled it down.  

2 hours ago, mw243 said:

Thanks for the Info. It is a lot easier shopping on the west coast for this style boat. The top is different on the thunder jet, but the high bow, reverse chine and dead rise are details to consider.

Yup like I said ...a little goofy looking but I think completely functional.

They do make a soft top version (more normal looking) as well its 5K less but then you have to spend about $2500 to get the radar arch & rocket launcher setup. 

Don't forget your pocketbook!

I can tell you that when I went out there I had my heart set on the Alexis. But after I looked at the Luxor i was thinking it was enough boat. Zeiglers was the biggest Thunderjet Dealer. I see now they are not selling them. I would love to know what happened. A guy named Chris Young was the main salesman. he had come from another dealer. I think they jump around alot.

I will post a pic of my Parker., just been too busy lately.

4 minutes ago, RodBuster said:

Don't forget your pocketbook!

I can tell you that when I went out there I had my heart set on the Alexis. But after I looked at the Luxor i was thinking it was enough boat. Zeiglers was the biggest Thunderjet Dealer. I see now they are not selling them. I would love to know what happened. A guy named Chris Young was the main salesman. he had come from another dealer. I think they jump around alot.

I will post a pic of my Parker., just been too busy lately.

You are correct, they're pricey. I have spoke with a couple of dealers and have a good idea of what I am looking at for cost.

Really not much different than any of the other west coast boats when you compare option for option. Although pricing can vary greatly dealer to dealer.

The Luxor models are certainly stocked in heavier quantities so more selection but I really want the size of the Alexis.