Big Black Bear

muskie magnet

My goodness that is a huge bear period!! Especially for up there. Congrats on your buddies kill. Lots of freezer space going to be taken up with that bad a$$ big boy!!

One heck of a bear a 400 pounder is a giant in Ontario 600 that's massive.  Ive seen a few 600 pounders up that way on the dumps but he sure doesn't look like any dump bear.  And that's not all fat on that bear.  Thanks for sharing 

Edited by Hookedup
Grammar

That is huge anywhere. Ontario average is less than 200 Lbs.
I've killed 4 bear in Pennsylvania in my 47 years of life. My biggest was 405 and that's huge for Pa. my oldest son (24) has killed 2 so far and my middle daughter has killed 2 she's 22 years old. Congrats on the big bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Nice bear but a baby compared to the bruins down at my parents home in New Jersey

That's a 600# bear, you are clueless if you think it's a baby, they don't get much bigger., (Even by your parents).lol.
Monster bear, if you ever pulls one out of the brush like that you will have a new respect for how big they actually are.

Sent from my XT1254 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

13 hours ago, Hookedup said:

One heck of a bear a 400 pounder is a giant in Ontario 600 that's massive.  Ive seen a few 600 pounders up that way on the dumps but he sure doesn't look like any dump bear.  And that's not all fat on that bear.  Thanks for sharing 

X2 been going to Canada for 30+ years and have helped the outfitters track bears up there, if you've ever been in those green sticker that are like vines that's what that whole outback country is like, 600lbs is huge. The garbage bear that was shot in Pike county Pa. was over 700lbs - 800 pounds but it ate pizza buy the 100's of pounds for years.

My aunt lives in the northern part of Sussex county and my uncle's brother owns a farm in the same area, I know Jersey has a bear problem, and they regularly stroll across her back yard I'd say both are pushing 300lbs and Charlie has shot some huge bears and has the game commission there all the time, he can't kill them even if their after his animals, you need to say they were charging you, then you better have a good story or a fat wallet. The biggest bear uncle Charlie shot wad 575lbso on the hoof. That bear was the tall and long and it was a "dog face" long snout, that's a lot of bear!! One guy on each leg we couldn't move it, 4 guys got the head and shoulders on the truck then the 3 of us while 2 others pulled from the front legs, we got him on the truck. That's a lot of bear, we took bets on who was the closest in weight, we were all way over, a 1000 pound bear would be the size of Charlie's steers!!

Edited by pap

I try to make it to one of the PA Game Commission "bear check" stations each year. The public is allowed to watch the biologists weigh, determine if it's male or female

, pull a tooth for aging as well as any other data they might be collecting on the harvested bears. Check in is mandatory for all successful hunters and most of the resulting data is recorded on a whiteboard for public viewing. I've seen bears as small as 26lbs. and as large as 642lbs. (dressed) weighed in. Average adult female would be 100-150lbs and average adult male 200-300lbs. However, they have recorded bears with live weights exceeding 800lbs.

The assembled crowd tries to guess the weigh of each bear (myself included). Most people aren't even close when guessing the bears weight. I've been visiting the stations for years and not any good at guessing either!

Edited by Bigfoot

Guessing a bears weight is a "crap shoot" at best.  We see bears quite often around here and when we are together we vary  lot on their weight..  Not sure I can believe a 1000 pounder but there are many over 500 each year around here  Have hunted NJ three times and the guys from this area have a 50% success rate probably.  Acorn years the water shed area in the very north is excellent. and any farm land  is very good too of course.  Nope can't believe a 1000 pounder......jk

NJ and PA have the largest black bears in North America. The current record in NJ is 829 lbs
My bro in law is sitting on the pending state record bow kill from 2016 at 679 dressed. Est. live weight of 800. I live in northern NJ backed up to watershed and we are loaded with bears. But that north woods bear at that size is a real trophy. Congrats

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 5 weeks later...
That is huge anywhere. Ontario average is less than 200 Lbs.

I've killed 4 bear in Pennsylvania in my 47 years of life. My biggest was 405 and that's huge for Pa. my oldest son (24) has killed 2 so far and my middle daughter has killed 2 she's 22 years old. Congrats on the big bear.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I live in north east pa. Lake wallenpaupack area of the poconos, 405lbs is average at best for my area of pa. 600 lb bear is really nice anywhere.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

48 minutes ago, steelydan said:

I live in north east pa. Lake wallenpaupack area of the poconos, 405lbs is average at best for my area of pa. 600 lb bear is really nice anywhere.

I also live in northeast Pa and have spent a lot of time in the woods and have seen tons of bear and 600 is a trophy anywhere most people not knowing how to judge a bear would call it 800+... don't matter as long as the guy is happy with it and he looks pretty happy to me :yes:

I also live in northeast Pa and have spent a lot of time in the woods and have seen tons of bear and 600 is a trophy anywhere most people not knowing how to judge a bear would call it 800+... don't matter as long as the guy is happy with it and he looks pretty happy to me :yes:

I agree