Couple solo Conesus Tigers today

1 hour ago, stoneam2006 said:

I don't eat fish so gotta ask are they good to eat? Is that why some guys do keep them

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I kept one deep hooked from conesus years ago.  It was not good at all.  It was very fishy and mushy.  I will not keep one for the table ever again! 

I kept one deep hooked from conesus years ago.  It was not good at all.  It was very fishy and mushy.  I will not keep one for the table ever again! 
That is wierd why would you keep them when there is better table options out there. I don't eat fish and musky would be the last on my list lol.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Nice fish!!! 

I've kept a few over my life that I had to eat because I couldn't revive them or they bled out and it's similar to pike in my opinion if taken care of properly but I really would rather not eat another.  It's way to much actual filets of that particular taste for me.  Now if they tasted like walleye that would be different!!!!!  That being said I know several people that target them to eat, but I've seen people eat a lot I wouldn't touch.  Bite has picked up here dramatically on tigers trolling.  Several recent days every boat out trolling I talked to hooked up good fish.  I've had more in the last 2 weeks than any 6 weeks all season.

Hey Justin it's a god damn thing they don't taste like walleye!! First off I wouldn't know how they taste, cause I've never caught one!!! Second if they are a fish of a thousand casts and taste like walleye there wouldn't be enough reels in the country to keep up with supply and demand. If all the guys I know jigging and trolling for eyes were casting for muskies most lakes wouldn't be safe, kinda like turning the pages of time back to the snagging days for salmon!! Imagine that everyday, week in and week out:lipssealed: LOL. Keep at bud, best 2nd part of eye season right around the corner!!  Pap.

• 4 weeks later...

37” is a nice Conesus tiger. Any Esox > or = 36” on Conesus is a good fish. We’ve caught a few Tigers over 40”. They are few and far between.

I’ve eaten a few tigers that went belly up (I greatly reduce this possibility by going barbless). Bottom-line was that they were similar to pike but the meat was a bit darker and lacked some of that sweet flavor typical of pike.  To me any Esox > 32” goes back, and even then, I only keep a handful each season.