Tiara, sportcraft, baha

jth21usa

Tiara, sportcraft, baha

Question, if you had about 30k to spend, wanted about 30 feet, is it worth going late 80`s Tiara when you could get a 2000's Baha or Sportcraft? Looking for something that I can daily fish in, do a tournament a couple times a year and maybe take the family on a trip now and again. 

Justin

Can't beat the room in a Penn Yan or a baha and fuel economy. Most the guys with Tiaras have to charter to help pay the bills (mostly boat payment). Late 80's you may need to invest in the engines. Baha's or penn yans you may have to invest in stringers, transomes, etc but once you do your good for as long as you'll have the boat. Many guys don't think about fuel economy unless you want a kicker. But then with waves it could be difficult to steer.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I like my boat and could never afford a new 30ft anything not even a 30 foot measuring tape:lol:. I'm going to redo my floor this winter and what ever else I come across. The problem I have is I've got to much invested now to let it go. If I do everything I mentioned the boat will out last me. So I beleive everyone would have a differant way to go about this. Meaning not everyone is handy with what's needed or doesn't have the time, last but not least they have the money to just buy a leftover or new. Even when I'm done I'm still going to have a 27 year old boat. So it's pretty much up to the individual and the hands on ability. To take to a shop to have all that done, you could of moved up in years and not get your hands dirty.  Best of luck in your decision!!

Any boat cost = initial investment + additional investment to fix things.

80's ... I agree with post above, you need to take a good look at the engine and drives, you don't want a big $ surprise. 

My friend has a awesome Pursuit, got it at a deal knowing he'd have to put work and $ into it. Still came out ahead, but he worked hard last 2 years and paid lots of $$ in.  The boat is in awesome condition now, and again, he came out ahead (comparing to buying a boat in the current condition). But he knew he was going to invest $10k's more ontop of the purchase price.

Be careful, it can turn into your worst nightmare.

20 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Tiara's = no wood in the stringers so no rot.

If it were me, I would be buying a Tiara. 

Not true,almost all Tiaras have wood encapsulated stringers. All the boats mentioned so far have had moisture problems one way or another. Tiara the least of them,but some issues nevertheless. I would Google each make year and model to see what problems there may be. A survey is a must especially with the thermal.imaging devices that are out there being used. Of the 4 mentioned I would say the Tiara would be the most versatile one of them,specifically for overnight stays combined with fishing. Motors are 2500 - 3 grand all day long and if your handy there relatively easy to swap out. No reason they won't last 6-10,000 hours. Resale value is higher as well. You can get a mid to late 90s for 30 gs or less if your willing to look at a closed cooling system salty from the northeast as they are pulled about the same time as the great Lakes = less time sitting in saltwater. I know a lot of people that have gone that route with no issues besides a occasional exhaust manifold replacement. Good luck !

• 2 weeks later...