Cayuga Cayuga Lou All October 15th

If the weatherman is correct it would be a good idea if we have boats going head to head on the same contour line the boat going with the wind giveway since they can turn easier. I always try to hail on the radio. I will tell you what my boat looks like, I might wave my net to get your attention and will tell you  if I am running copper or just short lines. Good communication can get both boats back on course as fast as possible. Should be a fun day!

A couple things come to mind here especially for folks perhaps either new to fishing or the Finger Lakes scene....first of all the weather folks have been off quite a bit this season:) and especially with the long range projections so the picture could change markedly either way. Secondly, if the winds are strong and it is still safe to get out  folks should reconsider how they fish with the existing conditions. While the use of inline boards, long toplines and long coppers may be great or tempting in decent or even marginal conditions, in rough water with moderate to heavy boat traffic in prime water it may not be a great idea and less can be more in this situation. The main thing about rough water conditions and a lot of wind is boat control and trolling speed; not necessarily how big a boat you have, and whether you can do what you want or need to do out there. Safety is paramount wherever you fish so a little thinking and preparation beforehand is a good idea and having a plan B for fishing is also advisable. Something to be aware of regarding fishing the larger Finger Lakes like Cayuga and Seneca in heavy wind conditions is that unlike Lake O with its "rollers" the wave characteristics on these lakes can be quite different as they tend to be shorter in distance between them yet can be relatively high amplitude wise; which means that in a small open bow boat they can come over the bow, transom or gunwales easier. Just something to be aware of if you haven't had much experience in these particular bodies of water. Folks just have to maintain a healthy respect for these waters and use good common sense during marginal wind/storm conditions and things should be fine.

1 hour ago, stoneam2006 said:

Lol I'll be out...or ill fish from the dock lol....more than likely I'll be chumming up the water for you guys

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

in your new sports craft witch is big as a battle ship thinking you do just find 

1 hour ago, Sk8man said:

A couple things come to mind here especially for folks perhaps either new to fishing or the Finger Lakes scene....first of all the weather folks have been off quite a bit this season:) and especially with the long range projections so the picture could change markedly either way. Secondly, if the winds are strong and it is still safe to get out  folks should reconsider how they fish with the existing conditions. While the use of inline boards, long toplines and long coppers may be great or tempting in decent or even marginal conditions, in rough water with moderate to heavy boat traffic in prime water it may not be a great idea and less can be more in this situation. The main thing about rough water conditions and a lot of wind is boat control and trolling speed; not necessarily how big a boat you have, and whether you can do what you want or need to do out there. Safety is paramount wherever you fish so a little thinking and preparation beforehand is a good idea and having a plan B for fishing is also advisable. Something to be aware of regarding fishing the larger Finger Lakes like Cayuga and Seneca in heavy wind conditions is that unlike Lake O with its "rollers" the wave characteristics on these lakes can be quite different as they tend to be shorter in distance between them yet can be relatively high amplitude wise; which means that in a small open bow boat they can come over the bow, transom or gunwales easier. Just something to be aware of if you haven't had much experience in these particular bodies of water. Folks just have to maintain a healthy respect for these waters and use good common sense during marginal wind/storm conditions and things should be fine.

now you are scaring me    :( 

Hell, the only thing I am worried about is getting my grill to light with all that wind. Lol. Got to have my breakfast burritos or it’s not fishing. Anybody pre fishing Friday or Saturday? I will be out. If you need anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Hell, the only thing I am worried about is getting my grill to light with all that wind. Lol. Got to have my breakfast burritos or it’s not fishing. Anybody pre fishing Friday or Saturday? I will be out. If you need anything.

Lmao....your breakfast burritos are top notch....

I still gotta build a grill hold like yours haven't gotten that far yet...can cook on calm day

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Now that's the kind of attitude that I like right there. You definitely have your priorities straight..

Mike

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

13 minutes ago, magill270 said:

Saturday looks like a nice fishing day 

Edited by fisherdude

I sure didn't mean to scare anyone....just the opposite really.:) A little information sometimes can go along way towards eliminating problems or obstacles. We just need to prepare a bit if the weather actually does throw us a curve. My hunch is we will be able to fish it so the above info was intended mainly just as an "FYI" for anyone not familiar fishing the Fingers. Magill has the right attitude and idea:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

I remember  one derby that we had many years ago we had 40 mph winds out of the north. That was a fun ride. I think 58 Johnson was out in that before he got his new boat. I broke off  a tx -22 inline board off with 30lb powerpro. Last weekend the wind was blowing pretty good but the waves never stacked up because the wind kept changing direction. Wes

It is possible that the rain and higher winds will be in the afternoon so maybe the morning will be doable. Things can change drastically sometimes so we'll just have to wait to see until closer to Sunday as we're still pretty far out from that point yet.

Edited by Sk8man

i looked also, saturday light winds . wind start around 12 am sunday  9 mph from s building to 20 mph ssw by noon . tv 3 weather said looking to be high wind warning with 50 mph winds . to bad we couldn't fish this event saturday ... 

Edited by fisherdude