Ruff Rider Sodus Live Report 2017 September 16-17

So Nick :

Are you really thinking of trading boats? How big Are you looking to go?

Trailable or you going to keep it at the Marina?

I ask because I know of a 28 foot single screw full inboard down in Penn Yan

full cabin fly bridge on a trailer. You would have to rig it but it has potential.

I would even tow it to Ontario for you [once] I have a diesel truck .

I should have bought that one but it is just to big to trail every week

Dr W

Ph ive droped a probe sad

Bpught those good cable locks end of problem

I also have depth raider

I pnly go 8 lb ball

If i drop again ill quick make a gps entry

Have a diver who woll retreive if not to deep

Glad your geeting kings

So Nick :
Are you really thinking of trading boats? How big Are you looking to go?
Trailable or you going to keep it at the Marina?

I ask because I know of a 28 foot single screw full inboard down in Penn Yan
full cabin fly bridge on a trailer. You would have to rig it but it has potential.
I would even tow it to Ontario for you [once] I have a diesel truck .

I should have bought that one but it is just to big to trail every week

Dr W

Think bigger :)

So Nick :

How big is "BIGGER"  and are you thinking Trailable ? or not?

Love looking at boats and I have seen some BIG TWIN ENGINE boats over 30 that

could sit on a trailer [ but over 120 inches wide] permit needed to trail them.

Troutman over in the Oak ran a 11 meter with twin 455's and loves it for charter

An express cruiser design that big is very nice and handles 5 and 6 foot waves

Dr W

So Nick :
How big is "BIGGER"  and are you thinking Trailable ? or not?
Love looking at boats and I have seen some BIG TWIN ENGINE boats over 30 that
could sit on a trailer [ but over 120 inches wide] permit needed to trail them.

Troutman over in the Oak ran a 11 meter with twin 455's and loves it for charter
An express cruiser design that big is very nice and handles 5 and 6 foot waves

Dr W

31-36ft. We were pretty set on a boat and then looked at the downstairs of a 01 cruisers... hard to find a luxurious downstairs with fishing room upstairs.

1 hour ago, Ruff Rider said:

31-36ft. We were pretty set on a boat and then looked at the downstairs of a 01 cruisers... hard to find a luxurious downstairs with fishing room upstairs.

Do you want to do a bunch of work on a boat? I  saw a Rommer for sale cheap ! Hard to find and super good hull.

old 327's  but it was running and a fire sale .. $2000 is cheap

https://rochester.craigslist.org/boa/d/1964-chris-craft-roamer/6306448814.html

IF you are going for a ride Contact John Orvec over  in the oak and look at his boat to get an idea of both luxury and fishing space. [Trautman ] he is a pro and on Lake Ontario United too. One of the best guides I ever met.

Nick :

Check this one out for a boat! 

I wish I had the time and money to go get this one myself

30 ft stamas 

My idea of a perfect Ontario boat.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1985-stamas-30'-arrival-102545164

You could even go get it and bring it home on the Canal system.

Dr W

John Oravec has been at it a long time he used to fish on the south end of Canandaigua out of Clarks Marina  in the old days (back in the days of night fishing). Wonder if he is still wearing his Greek fishermans cap :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Nick:

I talked to a guy who bought a Diesel Trawler from Long island to Seneca Lake and he did it in a long  weekend

Coming up the Hudson and then the Mohawk to Oneida lake and then on to Seneca  He said he could make 10mph all the way.   About 35 hours or him

If you had a faster boat that could do 25 mph average I think you would make that trip which is 300 miles in 2 long days. 

With a "BIG" boat with twin big blocks 454's you better plan on lots of fuel my guess is 400 gal  or more.

BTW there was a Bayliner 32 up n Henderson with twin 4 Volvo engines>? Maybe diesels ? That would be a good fuel saving option?

Dr W

Just an FYI- I'm not sure about the downstate part of the canal but on the upper part of the canal from Rochester west there is a speed limit and it is nowhere close to 25 mph> basically your boats registration  number and description is logged in at any lock or lift bridge on the canal that you pass through by the operator and each operator is telephoned ahead of your arrival to the next lift bridge or lock with your information. If you arrive in real short fashion they can tell basically your estimated speed from the time it took to get there from the other bridge or lock and the troopers will be there to ticket you if excessive speed is recorded. This is mainly to protect the canal from erosion due to excessive wakes.

Edited by Sk8man

Just an FYI- I'm not sure about the downstate part of the canal but on the upper part of the canal from Rochester west there is a speed limit and it is nowhere close to 25 mph> basically your boats registration  number and description is logged in at any lock or lift bridge on the canal that you pass through by the operator and each operator is telephoned ahead of your arrival to the next lift bridge or lock with your information. If you arrive in real short fashion they can tell basically your estimated speed from the time it took to get there from the other bridge or lock and the troopers will be there to ticket you if excessive speed is recorded. This is mainly to protect the canal from erosion due to excessive wakes.

Thanks, I have no problem following speed limits... bettet watch Theresa though ;)