LakerTaker

AR-15 (.223) ammo for deer?

34 posts in this topic

I’ve not had great luck getting 75gr. Or larger bullets to fly very well out of my 223. I believe it is because they are too long, they are engaging the lands over too long a surface and it causes them to destabilize once they leave the barrel? Any thoughts on this??

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

12 hours ago, Fishnut said:

I’ve not had great luck getting 75gr. Or larger bullets to fly very well out of my 223. I believe it is because they are too long, they are engaging the lands over too long a surface and it causes them to destabilize once they leave the barrel? Any thoughts on this??

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Seat them further, but check for crunch.  If crunching, use a tighter crimp.  Also, what's your twist??

On 10/10/2017 at 3:33 PM, LakerTaker said:

I agree with you, I grew up using a 250 Savage for several years, then transitioned over to a 30-06.  I have a specific application (short range tree stand) where a .223 might be effective and I wanted to test the water to see if others are using this caliber.  I spend a lot of time shooting and am an accuracy freak, so shot placement is important to me.

laker when you mentioned the savage 250 were you referring to the 250-3000, I have one of those it was my fathers, the barrels shot out as he used it for varmint hunting. The 22-250 replaced that round. Did any one of you guys look into the 6mm creedmore, awesome looking pill I think it’s just over 3000 feet a second. Hell of a yote gun with plenty of punch behind it. If your not a pelt saver. LOL 

Your barrel may be scrap ; if not the gun may not shoot that bullet ; eg. I was given a Roberts .257 but difficulty getting ammo apart from Rem 117 gr. Hand loaded 85 gr Hornady 85 gr. V Max :You guessed it , the rifle shot the VMax better than the bullet it was made for ( the gun was old , there was no Hornday Vmax at that time )

Yes PAP, it was a 250-3000, Savage Model 99 lever action. It killed bucks the first 6 years that I hunted, and has been a first-timer gun in our family ever since. My Dad bought the 250, along with a 300 Savage from an old friend back in the early 70’s. Photo is for reference, not our gun, but looks just like this one. IMG_7019.thumb.PNG.188d039bd9ee9ce00866e7a42fd49e82.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I know it's not what you asked, but have you considered building a new upper in a larger caliber?  (E.g. a 6.8 spc)  You can use everything you already have in the lower

No, I haven’t considered that. I like keeping factory guns intact. Just personal preference, I guess. I have several friends who do some interesting custom builds and I have tons of respect for that, but for now my interests lie elsewhere. I would, however, consider installing a custom trigger assembly. My next gun will be a Remington R-25 in .308, but it will be awhile before I make that purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I've shot a number of deer with my .222 mag with 55 gr splitzer round. i always shoot them in base of the head and i've never had one move after I shoot it. So if your looking for a round that will work on deer, shot well out of your gun, and you can use it on varmints give one of those a try.