Struggling to catch staging fish

This is my first year lake fishing for salmon. Went out today for my 5th try at it. Marked a ton of fish but only 1 taker. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. First time out went 1 / 3 second time was the best 7 / 10 third 1 / 2 forth 1/1 and today 1 / 3 . I have tried f/f 8 inch , 11 inch in a bunch of different colors and glow patterns. J-plugs , spoons. Played with speed and depths using the FishHawk. Fished from 65 to 200. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Should I go deep and try for the 2 year olds tomorrow . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

This is my first year lake fishing for salmon. Went out today for my 5th try at it. Marked a ton of fish but only 1 taker. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong. First time out went 1 / 3 second time was the best 7 / 10 third 1 / 2 forth 1/1 and today 1 / 3 . I have tried f/f 8 inch , 11 inch in a bunch of different colors and glow patterns. J-plugs , spoons. Played with speed and depths using the FishHawk. Fished from 65 to 200. Can anyone point me in the right direction. Should I go deep and try for the 2 year olds tomorrow . Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try running further back on the ball. Don't troll at a steady speed. Ramp it up once in a while. They will snap

Try running further back on the ball. Don't troll at a steady speed. Ramp it up once in a while. They will snap

X2.
Here in front of the Genny River I went 4/4 today 45-65 feet of water. Staging Kings can frustrating at best. If you want consistency go offshore. Here there's but a good Steelhead and 2yr old King bite.

Sent from my XT1650 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Play around with fly leader length and color. White flies( 22") took all my fish yesterday- all with different colored spin doctors. 21" and 23" same fly took no hits. In the same depth. Coincidence or not I don't know- staging kings can be frustrating- your just starting out so once you get some experience and read the info on this great site it will all come together for you. Use the 11" for cutbait or use longer fly leader lengths. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Fished this afternoon after some goose hunting in the morning. Headed west in front of the power plant. Started 150 put second rod down 90 feet before I could get third rod down second rod popped 14ld coho on a silver bullet j-plug. Then nothing for few hrs then hit on dipsy rod lost good fish. When we popped a rod to fight the fish we hooked a small king on the silver bullet again as it floated up. Went 2 for 4

Sent from my RCT6K03W13 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Mix it up Try short leads on your riggers with J-plugs  and faster speed up to even 3 mph

That worked back in the 1990's for me.

I also pulled big Dodgers OO size with a twinkle fly or a squid back then

Lots of turns and change speed too.