Diesel Vs Gasoline Engines [Boats]

Dr W

Diesel Vs Gasoline Engines [Boats]

I keep wondering why so few boats on the Grate Lakes  [inland waters] are Diesel powered ? Diesel motors are ! Higher torque and last longer and use safer fuel,

as far as fire hazard is concerned. Many ocean going fishing boats as well as sail boats have diesel power, so why not here? The alternative used most in salt water

happens to be multi engine outboards and that is not the case here either.

Would you buy a diesel ?

I would even though I would them be stuck hauling fuel or having to go to bigger ports where it is available. 

My Truck is a Diesel and I love it , Power and economy when pulling a load!

Dr. W

Edited by Dr W

As you said, Diesels are safer (MUCH safer), more reliable, more efficient.  After many years in the marine service industry, I feel that NO direct inboard should be gasoline - the only possible reason would be reduced initial cost, or if diesel wasn't available for 100 miles from your home port.

I think diesels are awesome. Would love to have our boat powered with one if it were a straight inboard. I often wonder about getting a diesel to troll down to low speeds....the torquey nature of the power plants and the wheel size that it typically paired with seems like this might be difficult? Sure would love the fuel efficiency tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Gene Bolton, Sunken Treasures charter is Diesel powered. That boat is one of the most stable boats I was ever on. Plus his boat has a keel sorta like a sailboat, but then I don't know exactly how big the keel is.

We have been looking at both... main reasons we chose gas are:
Ability to do work myself or easily find mechanic
Convenience of gas stations
Cost for potential repairs
Theresa gets seasick at the slightest smell of fumes

Reasons we considered diesels:
Better gas mileage
Better reliability
Faster speed

The USCG was all diesel when I served on their utility boats. Today most of the small boats are gasoline outboards since they are a lot faster. The fastest diesel was a thirty foot fiberglass and it did thirty knots. Now their triple outboards can hit seventy MPH.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The only diesel powered boats I have been on are gigantic cruise ships, and Gene Bolton's 26' JC.  The only drawback I see is the exhaust fumes.  When running or trolling in a following sea or wind, the fumes are a factor, but not totally unbearable.  Then again, they effect everyone differently.  I will say, in my limited time in small diesel boats, we were able to troll down to speeds almost unreachable with a gas engine by itself, bags or no bags.  Kicker maybe.  Gene's boat is very stable, but that is a function of the hull shape, not the diesel engine sitting midship.  If I had my way, I would be running a diesel all the way.  We have diesel pumps nearby, and my dad is a career diesel mechanic.  His labor costs would be all the fishing he wants.  

I went around and around for almost 8 months when choosing my last boat.  It came down to a 35 Viking express with new common rail diesels or the 36 Tiara open with gas 502's.  I had a list a mile long for each boat pluses and minus's.    Those Carolina flare style hulls are the best there is for running and trolling into anything Lake O throws at you but you DO NOT want to be in the trough.  The Tiara on the other hand there is no other hull that makes a trough troll in 3 to 5 ft and bigger seas as comfortable as it gets.  If I was to look at another diesel I would make sure it has side exhaust ports vs transom exhaust ports along with the common rail design.  Virtually zero exhaust into the cockpit area.  I have a good friend that has twin Series B Cummins in his 28 Carolina.  That boat has side exhausts and there is almost no diesel smell.  You can change motors on a down wind troll so the exhaust is flushed away from the boat.   It was brought up that trolling valves can be used to slow down, this is nearly a must for every diesel boat including that 28 Carolina.  Or very large bags, like the 48 and 60in version for large vessels.   There are only a couple marine transmissions that can accept a trolling valve. Diesel is very economical but there is trade offs.  Typically when they break it is expensive.  Just my .02$ after wrestling with it for some time.  By the way the 36 Tiara (gas) was the right choice for me and I am very happy with my decision.

You can research this topic on yachtsurvey.com.  to get a comprehensive report on this subject.( Marine Engines is the title and then go to gas vs diesel and then open up the entire article.) Many points have been made, one that has not is the initial cost which can be astronomical compared to a gas engine. And it might take you 25 years( in this area )to make up any fuel savings. Diesel fuel nowadays is more money than gasoline There is also the weight of them on anything under 35ft to consider. You could probably drop in 4 more fresh engines into a gas boat and still be ahead of the extra money you laid out to buy the diesels.  Oil changes and general maintenance on diesels vs gas is also through the roof. For me it would have to be a boat in the 40ft range ,anything under with the newer 7.4s/ 8.2s gassers out there would be more to my likings and cost efficient.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

Over the past 30 years, the manufacturers have attempted it, several times for Volvo and Mercruiser has done it at least once.  The initial cost and the less available diesel at a marine location have turned potential buyers away, at least in the under 30 ft class.