Professionalism

This past Saturday, my wife, daughter, and I made the four hour trip to the Oak in hopes to catch a salmon or two.  As the morning developed, most boats and action took place between 70 and 100 feet of water.  With beautiful skies and clam water, many sized boats took advantage of the weather.  As we were trolling eastward, a charter boat was heading west when one of their lines took a shot.  The salmon headed in a direction towards the front of my small boat.  The captain yelled and I waved to acknowledge his dilemma, so I make a sharp turn to the south.  After getting my boat and lines on a straight course, I noticed the charter boat netted that fish and the captain yelled:  "Thank you, if you have a green j-plug put it down 50 feet". I know charter boats have received negative press over the years, but the captain of the charter boat Troutman is a class act!  After placing my only green j-plug down 50, by daughter was hooked into a Lake Ontario salmon.    

14 minutes ago, cook said:

Professionalism

This past Saturday, my wife, daughter, and I made the four hour trip to the Oak in hopes to catch a salmon or two.  As the morning developed, most boats and action took place between 70 and 100 feet of water.  With beautiful skies and clam water, many sized boats took advantage of the weather.  As we were trolling eastward, a charter boat was heading west when one of their lines took a shot.  The salmon headed in a direction towards the front of my small boat.  The captain yelled and I waved to acknowledge his dilemma, so I make a sharp turn to the south.  After getting my boat and lines on a straight course, I noticed the charter boat netted that fish and the captain yelled:  "Thank you, if you have a green j-plug put it down 50 feet". I know charter boats have received negative press over the years, but the captain of the charter boat Troutman is a class act!  After placing my only green j-plug down 50, by daughter was hooked into a Lake Ontario salmon.    

That is Captain John Orvec The best guide on the lake [IMHO]

You want to charter a trip he is the guy to put you on fish and teach you how and why!

Dr W

Awesome, it's all about the kids. Had a similar experience about a month ago. Followed a couple buddies up to point breeze with my 11 year old grandson. They live in Williamsport, and I near Reading Pa. We got left on the dock by the charter we booked. Heard he had done the same to costumers the day before. After a very frustrating walk down the marina, an older gentleman told me to call, ( wishing I was fishing ). Long story short, he met us at the dock in an hour and salvaged our trip. Grandson caught his first steelhead. Never let one bad apple ruin the bushel. Make cider. 20170820_124839.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

John has always been a great fisherman....even before the Lake Ontario scene. He was one of the top night fishermen on Canandaigua back in the eighties too. Always has been highly regarded by other fishermen including me:) I remember having "boat envy" even back then when I was night fishing out of my little 13 ft Whaler at the south end:) Just to get an idea of his approach to chartering take a look at the comments on his website.

Edited by Sk8man

I fished around troutman for years he's always been a class act my friend chartered his boat it got real ruff they fished 3 hours they came in he didn't charge them they learned a lot from him in 3 hours other cpt should be as respected as john so I would give troutman 2 thumbs up great person

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Agreed. Don't know him personally but that is a great story. I know you hear bad stories but as always one bad story gives a black eye to the rest. In my personal experience the Charter guys are great. I have learned everything I know from them, this site, and salmon school. Generally speaking they are great on Lake O and willing to share .

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app