.4.2 mph and Divers

.4.2 mph and Divers Keep snapping off Dipsy's at 4.2 mph hooked up to 30 Malin wire.

Any suggestions?  

Are you saying the wire breaks or are you saying the release doesn't hold?

How are you terminating the end of the wire ?

'Bout Time
Mike

I think Stan is referring to California....not sure whether fresh or saltwater environment.

Stan - Double check your swivel snap at the end of the wire if it is a split ring type replace it with HEAVY DUTY SOLID ring ball bearing swivel, One of the things that happens with the split ring type of swivel is the line or wire "nests" in the split section and with tension it cuts through the line or wire.

Check out the wire for a few yards to see if any fraying sections...sometimes helps to use magnifying glass (especially us old dudes):lol:

Maybe use the "tie the wire" method of connecting it instead of crimping if you are doing that. If the wire is old or questionable try reversing the wire on the spool so that the back part becomes the front...I know it is a pain.... and easier to just put on new wire and go from scratch.

Edited by Sk8man

6 hours ago, Sk8man said:

I think Stan is referring to California....not sure whether fresh or saltwater environment.

Stan - Double check your swivel snap at the end of the wire if it is a split ring type replace it with HEAVY DUTY SOLID ring ball bearing swivel, One of the things that happens with the split ring type of swivel is the line or wire "nests" in the split section and with tension it cuts through the line or wire.

Check out the wire for a few yards to see if any fraying sections...sometimes helps to use magnifying glass (especially us old dudes):lol:

Maybe use the "tie the wire" method of connecting it instead of crimping if you are doing that. If the wire is old or questionable try reversing the wire on the spool so that the back part becomes the front...I know it is a pain.... and easier to just put on new wire and go from scratch.

It's the wire that keeps braking, I ordered new wire this morning in hopes the wire was too old. Have had it on the reels a good 5 years.

Using Optimizer's lures seem to be getting out best fish between 3.8 to 4.2 mph at 100' to 110' 

14 hours ago, Gill-T said:

X2 on the braid. Wire in saltwater will deteriorate over time. 

I'm pretty sure Stan is talking about freshwater fishing for rainbows and Browns in Shasta lake in California I could be wrong though..

Stan if your trying to reach depths that are 100-110ft down at rigger depth your probably going to want to run magnum size dipsy divers and keep them set from .5-1.5 and it'll take some wire to reach those depths still. Make sure you've got a good set of rods and holders aswell because your going to be putting some strain on them at those speeds. Good luck though I hope it works out!

I watched a you tube video on different wire breaking strength. They tested about 5 brands of wire and they were all 30 lb test. They did three test on each wire and then averaged. The brand mentioned had some break at 20 lbs. The brand that I use broke over 30lb for 7 strand and the 19 strand was a little higher. I do not remember all the numbers but it might be worth looking up on you tube. What kind of lures do you run at that speed? Years ago I fast trolled rebel fasttracs but I do not think they make them anymore!   Wes

4 hours ago, suttontroller94 said:

I'm pretty sure Stan is talking about freshwater fishing for rainbows and Browns in Shasta lake in California I could be wrong though..

Stan if your trying to reach depths that are 100-110ft down at rigger depth your probably going to want to run magnum size dipsy divers and keep them set from .5-1.5 and it'll take some wire to reach those depths still. Make sure you've got a good set of rods and holders aswell because your going to be putting some strain on them at those speeds. Good luck though I hope it works out!

I use the Mags have Bert's holders