Re-Powering my 17’ Aluminum Deep “V” 2004 Smoker Craft

Re-Powering my 17’ Aluminum Deep “V” 2004 Smoker Craft

I currently have a 25 Hp 4 stroke Yamaha Electric Start tiller (No Power Trim and Tilt) on my boat but due to an Overheating issue this spring and continued problems I am considering re-powering my boat. 

Opt #1 – Replacing the current motor with another Yamaha 4 stroke was my first choice.  The boat is rated for a 40 Hp motor so I have been thinking about going up to a 30 Hp motor.  The problem is the new 30 Hp weights almost 240 lbs compared to my current motor which weighs 155 lbs.  The another option was to go to the new 25 Hp motor that has been made into a portable unit that only weigh 126 lbs.  In both cases the cost of these motors are higher than the other two option and the current quotes do not include the power trim and tilt. Break in period of 10 hours before trolling again.

Opt #2 – Replacing the current motor with a new 2017/18 Mercury 4 stroke. This motor would be almost the same weight as the current motor.  The new one would have the EFI, Electronic Start and Power Trim and Tilt.  Motor seems nice and it seems like parts would be pretty easy to get in the future.  Also preventative maintenance seems to be pretty straight forward.  One down side is the break in period of 10 hours before I can be back to fishing again. 

Opt #3 – Replacing the current motor with a new 2018 Evinrude 2 stroke ETC 30 Hp.  The price of this unit falls right between the other two options.  It also has Electronic Start, Power Trim and Tilt and has a trolling option to increase or decrease the speed in 50 rpm increments.  This motor also comes with the longest warranty of 6 years.  No maintenance until either 300 hours or 3 years whichever comes first and no break in period. 

I would like your opinion on what motor you would choose to replace my current motor and why?  If you or any of your friends have had any bad experiences with any of these motors in the past I would like to hear about it.  All of these motor seem nice but I am just not sure what to do at this point.  I am so afraid that the boat will not fish the same in the future.  Any help or words of advice on this matter would be appreciated. 

You did not say if you use the motor to troll or just to get from one spot to the other. If you mostly troll, you can't beat an Etec. I have a 115 on my boat and it trolls all day long with no issues so far in 4 years. The Etec is going to weigh less than most 4 strokes if weight is an issue. You also can't beat the winterization process and less maintenance costs. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm staring at a $2500 bill to rebuild my Mercury lower unit. just over 100 hours most of which is trolling. My run out distances are under 1/2 mile. 

I've researched heavily and the ETEC motor, although a little more money for what seems to be less, appears a better choice in the real world. 

In the size class I am in (115 HP) jumping from the 90 to 115 or 115 to 150 size really doesn't make price sense in the Merc., I will repower with the ETEC 150 when the time comes.

Last thing, stay tuned because recent research had developed new and cheaper ways to make the 2 stroke oil injected run even cleaner! When these technologies are modified and applied by other manufacturers I think you will see the two stroke return as the king of the water due to its lighter wait and simplicity.

• 4 weeks later...

I went on several fishing trips this summer with a friend who has an E-TEC 150. I cannot believe how nice that motor is. Quiet, smooth, good fuel economy, starts instantly. An E-TEC will be the only motor on my next boat. They have an auto-winterization feature and I’ve heard that they produce more electrical output than comparable 4 strokes.....but I haven’t confirmed that one. Also - that big motor would troll right down to 0.8 mph and had no problem keeping lake trout or Salmon speeds on a 19.5 foot aluminum.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have to agree with the Etech guys especially when it comes to weight!! My old Evenrude took a dump and fixing it was half the price of a 4 stroke I found on Craigslist, I found a 2007 tiller 15hp merc electric start, only ever used 3 times, and it looks it. 20" shaft that the guys son bought for river fishing after 3 times out they decided that they need a jet motor, so his kid bought a new 60-40 merc jets. His kid makes more money then he knows what to do with. I got him down to $650 no gas can. But I'm removing 78lbs and adding 115lbs. Another 37.lbs. Quite a bit more, I can't lift it I'm not supposed lift over 20lbs but I can do the Evinrude. Plus I added another bracket under the motor just to be safe, cause I'll have to trailer it areound the lake area.