Downrigger for smaller boat

cmc5028

Downrigger for smaller boat

Please forgive me if topic has been covered before. I have a mid 90's Fisher 160 SC. I want to install one downrigger on the boat, as I think it will be too crowded with two. Plus, I like to also use jet divers, and mini-dipseys and lead core. I wont be going out on the Great Lakes, but do want to try the Finger Lakes when the fish are in closer in the spring. Plus I fish several PA lakes and reservoirs where a rigger would be helpful.

I'm not entirely sure if I want to go with a clamp on downrigger or a smaller manual one like a Cannon Lake Troll. I have attached a picture of my rig. The gunwale are about 6 inches wide, but I wouldn't have access to the underside. The port side gunwale is a compartment for rods. Starboard side is the channel for cables from the motor to wheel.

So any advice on which model to buy or mounting tips would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

IMG_4412.JPG

I have a 14ft starcraft deep v I used "eagle feet" brackets with a deck board mounted across to mount riggers too. I have a smaller beam length than that boat and I run 2 riggers both directly out the back with minimal problems I have a pair of Scotty manual riggers on my boat and love them. They function great and the lift up feature is amazing for safety and easy use purposes because you don't have to lean over the back of boat to get to rigger ball. The eagle feet aren't cheap for what they are but you don't have to drill ANY holes in your boat and if you wanted to take the board off you could do it in less than a minute I have left mine attached for almost 2 years now and it's still solid enough I could just about stand on it and I've never been concerned about it on a tow to the lake or while dragging 2 12lb torpedo weighs across bottom in 120ft of water

I had a 14ft Sea Nymph Deep V with a side console and 25hp. It had gunwales like yours, almost full length. I removed the gunwale boards and replaced them with 2x6 treated, cut to the proper shape of the boat and wrapped in marine carpet. After re-wiring the boat, I supported the stringer (attachment points) locations with smaller boards and spray foam. I then pre-drilled each attachment point and used stainless screws to secure the gunwale boards. They were solid as a rock!!!! That’s what I would recommend...and you could use manual or electric downriggers that way using a track system or direct mount to the board. No need to get underneath...just use stainless screws. I will try to find pictures of my rebuild and will post them later when I get to a computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I also used to have a boat comparable to that.  I went everywhere!  I had two cannon manuals mounted on a pressure treated board.  If you do it right it could be easily removable if you wanted.  But the walls of your boat look to be fairly thick which is good if your looking to go more permanent mounting.  I defiantly wouldn't be afraid to go with two riggers.  

My new gunwales stood up a little higher than the original, but it wasn’t very noticeable when I was done. And like I said, rock solid. I could pull myself into the boat with the rod holders and there was no movement in the gunwales. I cut them to fit. I will find pics tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United