Newby fisherman coming up to Alexandria Bay

Newby fisherman coming up to Alexandria Bay

HI, I am new to the forum, and wanted to know if anyone would offer advice on tackle, location or technique for smallies and pike  Will be there Oct 7-14.  I fish a lot, but my first time up there, and it looks exciting. (I live in Georgia)  I have been told GooseBay with spoons for pike and Lake in the Isles with pink senko wacky rigged for bass although mostly LMB.  I will have a pontoon, and am interested in a few more bits of infoprior to arriving. Thanks in advance, guys!   jimmy

Goose bay is always worth a shot for pike. Mostly the deeper part right as you come in. Fishing from Dingman point to goose bay should put plenty of pike in your boat. Pike fishing around the castle and surrounding area can be good now with most of the summer traffic out. I find I can catch all the 5 pound pike I can stand by staying in the bays but bigger ones seem to want access to deeper water. Fishing the weed edges in the river will get you fewer but bigger pike. There are lots of largemouth in the same waters the pike use. Lake of the isles is all about largemouth. I don’t fish smallmouth much but when I do I fish in 20 to 30 fow with live bait. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:40 PM, Kevin J Legg said:

Walleye fisheries is very good in this area. I seldom even fish pike or bass. Dawn and dust or night in 30-50 fow.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

What techniques and lures are you using.  I'm coming in from Ohio on Thursday with wife for 3 days and would like to catch a few fish for fun.

I fish Lake Erie trolling.  Appears St Lawrence is different.

I fish the River 3-4 times a week and have caught walleyes every trip but one for the last two years. Walleyes are available May- until ice up but it's not an easy fishery to learn. You need to pay your dues with lost gear and time on the water. I believe walleyes are abundant from Cape Vincent to Massena.

We will be just downstream of Clayton.  Is there a lot of current there?  Do you drift to keep line vertical with Jigs?  Do you use bottom bouncers or troll with diving devices like dipsey or jet divers?  Go with current or upstream?  I may try jigging/casting spoons while drifting if that works.

The are places where the current is ripping and we generally fish in fairly heavy current. Hold into the current with trolling motor when using jigging spoons or bucktails to keep line vertical as possible. Have caught them with dipseys, down riggers, and bottom bouncers when trolling against the current. Floating weeds have resent lay been an issue. Changes in depths and current do make trolling a challenge but it is effective if you can keep lures near the bottom.