boat canvas

chucknmel

4 minutes ago, superhawk18 said:

Joining in, as I need a new top made as well........

Dave

X2 even if I have to tow up a few weeks before the season next year!!

X3 I just pulled the trigger on a new to me boat. its a bay liner classic 2452 and I'm looking for new drop curtains for the hard top. I've been told that I have to have them made so I'm interested too. I live in Pa. but would be willing to take the boat elsewhere for fitting.

Had mine made by John Mann in Sodus Point  - 315-871-6400

Very satisfied with both the quality and the $ - made both a drop curtain and a cover

Do a search and you will find him recommended almost as often as Hank (L&M)

Edited by mudflat

John Mann is certainly the guy to go to if you are unable to find someone real good in the Elmira area. Doing canvas work is one of those things that you want done right as you will be looking at it and dealing with it for years to come. Over the years I have seen some real good canvas jobs and some terrible ill fitting canvas on boats that I would be embarrrassed to have, and the cost itself doesn't necessarily guarantee a great job either. The material used - including the plastic for windows, the canvas type (there are many and not all are good longeivity wise in UV), and even down to the thread used for stitching can make a huge difference in the life span of the covering.The first canvas work I had done by John lasted for the 22 years I had my first boat and it was still in good condition when I sold the boat. Some of this stuff you are lucky to get 4 or 5 years out of. I've never hesitated to recommend John to anyone as in my view he is second to none in the canvas work department. Another thing is being able to look at a boat and size it up as to what may or may not work for that particular person's situation which takes some insight and skill, but more importantly - experience. He has been working with this stuff since the 70's that I know of ; including many of the Lake O boats in the Sodus area and Florida as well over the years and he does great work at a fair price.

I know no one will speak for them but what can one expect to pay for a mooring cover 7*9 snaps on boat already

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I found one for my boat, it's from bay liner, drop curtains and it's 799.00 $ plus shipping.
I don't know if that's a good price or not? It's the only one I found??

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Aaron the existence of pre-existing snaps already on the boat could be looked at in a couple ways: one that a very small part of the job has been done, or two that the snaps may be placed wrong for the custom job that needs to be done. The fit of the canvas is really what it is all about once you have selected quality materials so there is a lot of measuring and fitting and even depending on the materials selected a lot of adjusting goes on to get it right. The cost will include the labor for this process as well as taking into consideration the materials you have selected and there can be a great difference in both the quality and price for materials alone. The amount of "canvas" based on the size of the area is also a factor as may be "peculiarities" of the boat design itself. Most guys will want to actually see the boat before a quote for that reason or at least a photo with measurements.

Edited by Sk8man

Just as little tip regarding priicing - Don't go through a marina for your canvas work go directly to the person that actually does it because the marina gets their large cut on the money so it is much more expensive.