HELP!!!

So I've taken to throwing XD-20's for large Bass and have had good success... But I am literally pulling my hair out and here's why... So... Every so often I do a cast and feel either a series of small taps and then suddenly the line goes slack... I set the hook in the slack and then proceed to reel in just line... This has happened about three times now in one 100 yard stretch of shoreline... Everytime the line is broken between 4 and 10 inches above the knot and the lure floats back up... There has never been any fray in the line just a clean cut. I had finally gotten myself convinced that I was just getting cut by zebra mussels until today... Today I was out at a spot where the lure wasn't even close to the bottom and I felt a similar thing... Line went slack very suddenly... I set the hook on the slack and felt something for a split second and then bam! No lure... The difference this time was that the lure never floated back up which leads me to believe that it's in the mouth of mr.northern... these have all happened in I-Bay where I have personally seen big pike. I'm using 40 lbs braid straight to the lure... My questions are... Does this sound like the doing of a pike? And if so how do I solves this and finally land the SOB? I hate using wire because it basically eliminates catching Bass... I have 30lb flouro and 50 lb mono that I'm thinking of for leaders and am also thinking about buying 80 lb flouro... Please everybody... Please help me before I pull all of my hair out!

Sent from my Z797C using Lake Ontario United mobile app

use at least 80lbs fluoro and tie main line directly to fluoro via uni to uni knot. I'd go at least 8-10" in length for the leader since it sounds like the head of the bait is getting smashed a majority of the time. Good luck!

Thank you for the tip! I'm going to try it next time I go... Hopefully I'll be posting a pic of me with a large pike!

I know you said you didn't want to use "wire" but possibly the incredibly thin but strong TITANIUM wire? If it is a big pike they are pretty territorial so may be close in same area as before  to be specifically fished for.

Edited by Sk8man

I know you said you didn't want to use "wire" but possibly the incredibly thin but strong TITANIUM wire? If it is a big pike they are pretty territorial so may be close in same area as before  to be specifically fished for.

Now that you mention that it's happened twice in one area and twice in another area... That's a good idea... I didn't even think about it being the same one to be honest

I'd guess you were dealing with a school of longnose gar.  The small taps sounds like what u feel when they attack a bait with those hard narrow mouths and they are almost impossible to get hooks into.  Had this exact same scenario happen on lake amistad in Tx a few years back.  Had a giant school of big longnose gar attacking deep diving cranks and got hooks into about 1 of every 20 bites.  They are known for biting the line and cutting it above the bait with those needle teeth.  The one that didn't float back up probably got tangled/wrapped in the fishes mouth.  If you were dealing with a pike I doubt your strike would be described as a light tap but more of a violent slam followed by dissapointment as the fish stole ur bait.

Edited by iiwhistlerii

1 hour ago, iiwhistlerii said:

I'd guess you were dealing with a school of longnose gar.  The small taps sounds like what u feel when they attack a bait with those hard narrow mouths and they are almost impossible to get hooks into.  Had this exact same scenario happen on lake amistad in Tx a few years back.  Had a giant school of big longnose gar attacking deep diving cranks and got hooks into about 1 of every 20 bites.  They are known for biting the line and cutting it above the bait with those needle teeth.  The one that didn't float back up probably got tangled/wrapped in the fishes mouth.  If you were dealing with a pike I doubt your strike would be described as a light tap but more of a violent slam followed by dissapointment as the fish stole ur bait.

My thoughts exactly! 

Well I had my chance today... I was in the same spot where I've been broke off twice and finally I hooked up! Fish was taking drag fighting good and head shaking. I fought him for about five minutes, finally got him near the surface... I got a nice side few and it was a pike between 15-20 lbs... As soon as I saw the side of the fish, the (insert your expletive of your choice here) hook pulled out! UGGGHHHHHH he will be back in the same area and I will get him soon