Looking at a penn

phil2

Looking at a penn

Guy by has a 262 competitor. Great shape been in a garage since 2011. Going to start it for first time today. Has the 454 crusader in it. Need the plus and minus for it I know the history of the boat spent ttl of. 5 yrs in service 2 for charters 3 for pleasure fishing. Has a t15 so wasn't trolled has little over 800 hrs on main.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

No sir! Can't wait to learn how to drive it and get used to it. Will be a little different then the 21 ft bass boat with a 250 on it. Have allot of cleaning to do and set it up the way I want. Then get it covered before it snows. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Sick of this wheather! Waiting to get back to work on the boat. Brother got me a 24" lightbar for it to add to rocket launcher. Have my side curtains and backs to get the clear plastic redone. Bought a 10" hummingbird to upgrade 1 of the 350a

Edited by phil2

• 2 weeks later...

Its mahogany that was in rough shape.. I have 3 coats of helmsman teak oil on it. Was wondering if a waterproof like Thompson's or Cabot would soak in now with the oil in it. Or a epoxy I just don't want it to get that yellow flakey like you see on some older boats

• 1 month later...

Questions time!!! Ok #1 boat has kicker and nav something tr1 gold. Boat came with new john deer agm 31 series batteries. They have regular post terminals on them. Can I stack on the bolts all the other power for tr1, trim for kicker, and kicker itself? And a fishfinder! All off the terminal.. Or can I run some like the tr1 to the battery on off switch? 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's another! I have been deciding to take the rail off the back and running riggers and rod holders right to the glass. Should I or keep it  the way it is? Its nice to have something to drill to but think it will be a pain to work over. 

Keep it.

It should not be a problem to work over and at the same time it allows you to make changes without making holes in the hull. If you feel that this setup is too high,(from the pictures it does seem high) you can lower it a few inches to where it is more comfortable. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

3 hours ago, phil2 said:

Here's another! I have been deciding to take the rail off the back and running riggers and rod holders right to the glass. Should I or keep it  the way it is? Its nice to have something to drill to but think it will be a pain to work over. 

Strictly personal preference. Fish it a couple times and see if it works for you. You can always remove it later.

Ok got another question. Back by the rudder is a small can the size of a small coffee can with a air pressure guage. What's it for and what pressure should it be? Looked for it online can't find it.

Edited by phil2

If it looks like this or similar: 

RV55 Reservoir Hynautic

It's the reservoir for the older "Hynautic"  hydraulic steering system. Pressure is normally around 20lbs, but if all is well with the steering, the gauge shows pressure & the sight glass fluid is ok it's normally best left alone.  

• 2 weeks later...

Put 10 gallons to her today started the 454 for the first time after some spit and sputters she came to life and idled for a bit. Had freshwater pump off didn't want to get carried away.the t 9.9 was a different story getting going but finally ran. It won't idle so carb cleaning in the am. Bowl was dirty and screen pretty much plugged. But for sitting since 2011 I'm happy!! New impeller for pump and let run for a while oil change then hopefully fishing next weekend!!

• Like 1