Waterfowl season 2017/18

Waterfowl season 2017/18

With September season winding down and it being a slow one for me at best only being able to hunt twice and the first hunt on opening day the birds moved fields but we walked away with 6

Last night 9/22 we hunted an evening feed which we had scouted with somewhere between 80-90 birds in some chopped corn we had to take a non ideal set up do to wind direction vs direction of houses and birds devoted well after Sun got blocked out by trees enough that our shadows weren't an issue. We shot well the first couple small flocks that decoyed and then a flock of 30 and a flock of 40 joined together and worked us beautifully we had birds landing on our blinds and we let the big group keep swinging and swinging just enjoying the show. After a few passes they came around to set down and I called the shot the 4 of us (whom are normally very good shooters) popped up and each emptied our guns then were left speechless and laughing our butts off as we only killed one bird out of all those and that was one someone ground swatted :lol: all in good fun though and a nice night we ended with 14  which isn't bad for the low number of birds in our area and whiffing on the big flock! But that ain't what it's about it was an enjoyable day in the field! Onto the migratory birds in October now

20170922_185708.jpg

I had a very similar experience to that last flock you spoke of last weekend. Took my dad on his first field hunt, my first time actually successfully decoying geese too. But we had a flock of 30 or so stat land, I called the shot and nothing fell out of the sky. Thankfully a few stuck around through the shooting and we were able to take 4 out of that group. Ended up with 12 geese total that day.

• 1 month later...