Hughes 9-23-17

Admiral Byrd and I decided to give it one  probably last of the season go for steelies and young salmon as I don't care much about fishing for the staging black salmon anymore....kind of a let them spawn and die in peace thing I guess:)

We intially messed around in real close for the browns and managed only a couple 2-3 lb smallies so out we went to the deeper water. We fished out to about 650 or so and spent time in between going in and out and marked a bunch of bait suspended and near bottom but not many fish and what we marked were "spotty" and down real deep for the most part (some down 250-350).  Didn't have a temp device with us so played with the depth and first score was a steelie about 5 or 6 lbs on a ten color leadcore off an inline board off a multicolored magnum spoon. We  fished from 7 Am until 7:30PM  and caught a mixed bag of immature salmon and nice sized steelies. Most came on downriggers down 100 ft plus or minus 10 ft with the exception of the largest steelie (about 10 lbs) that took a wonderbread diver/spinney with a silver homemade fly on a wire rig. I think we ended up  14 for 17 at the end of the long day with about 8 immatures salmon and all the steelies of nice size. Two steelies could not be successfully released but the largest and the remaining ones tookoff to fight another day. All the salmon were released unharmed. Beautiful very hot day out there and the sun was pretty brutal and that is something you seldom say on September 23rd:lol: Only took one pic of a representative mid sized fish that had to be kept because we wanted to release all others possible without handling.

lesoneofthe fish.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Yes... but I also want to make sure folks understand I wasn't criticizing the keeping of fish nor anyone else choosing to fish for staging salmon (I have no room in my freezer for any more fish of any type):lol: I too look forward to the cayuga LOU get together:)

Edited by Sk8man

You lucky @#$% Mike :lol: Thanks John....looking forward to meeting up again at the Cayuga thing..

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 weeks later...