Throttle Control slow speed trolling - 115hp outboard - recommendations?

Netbender

Good Day, I have been using the standard throttle for my 115 hp Merc for a few years now, wondering if anyone has seen a unit that will fit the larger outboards? I know there several for kicker size motors, but wondering if anything has been found that works for the larger motor.

Thanks! Dave

Pap, my confusion. All the kicker controls seem to be listed for 9 or 15 hp motors. I have a 115 hp 4 stroke merc, any reason they wouldn't work for me? Troll master pro , specifically.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

1 hour ago, Sean Youngblood said:

Hands down the best investment I have made for my boat.

X2 merc 15hp sips fuel so little I burn about 2 gallons of fuel all day. Now I run my main to where we are going, and naturally back. I 

I have a trolling plate that I used effectively. It had a lanyard on a spring loaded system. The plate would drop and lick behind the propeller. For high speed it would pop up if you pulled the lanyard unless you forgot.

My new boat has a trolling plate. I'm hoping it works well. I'll be trying it out next weekend on Lake Erie for the first time.
I have my doubts it's going to work so I'm planning on buying a drift sock.

• 2 weeks later...

Superhawk,

I put a 90 merc 4 stroke on my boat a year ago and added a Smartcraft gauge w/ troll control. I can adjust via the buttons on the gauge from 1000 RPM down to 550 RPM in 10 RPM increments. That's 200 RPM slower than the natural idle of the motor without the troll control feature engaged. For the same reasons I decided to go without a kicker after running with one for 28 yrs. I can easily get down to about 1.6 SOG on open water, and usually need about 650 RPM to get 1 MPH here in the SLR current.

I also mounted their remote paddle switch at the rear of my boat so I can adjust speed while messing with riggers.

Prof T

THAT sounds like exactly what I am looking for and fits close to my 115 on a 18'6". I was wondering if you could get below the 750 range. Thanks! Encouraging

On 9/24/2017 at 4:33 PM, superhawk18 said:

Good Day, I have been using the standard throttle for my 115 hp Merc for a few years now, wondering if anyone has seen a unit that will fit the larger outboards? I know there several for kicker size motors, but wondering if anything has been found that works for the larger motor.

Thanks! Dave

what year? if its 2005 or later you can use a smart craft gauge

The installation is pretty "plug and play". There was an "H" type connector mounted in the wiring about behind my throttle/shift lever. 1 spot to motor, one to the shifter, one to the gauge and the 4th to the paddle switch. The remote switch had an annoyingly short lead, which I spliced to make it long enough to reach where I wanted it.

1 hour ago, superhawk18 said:

Bought it in 2007, but will check numbers and call Merc.

you will love the smart craft gauges. worth every penny