Painting info

nicknick

Hi guys, a few months ago i pick up what seemed to be a steal of a deal... i bought a Sabre Crestliner 19 feet... i paid 1500$ with a galvanized trailer and the mercruiser engine and lower unit in great shape, i figured that the bought should be in good shape as well... in the last few months i stripped the whole boat and now im in the midst of rebuilding it, im getting ready to paint it soon and id like to know if i should sand the bottom of it bare and prime and paint, it seems to have a coat of anti-fouling... so i wonder how deep i should sans it before i repaint?

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Anti fouling paint is toxic and dry sanding sends clouds of dust in all directions, coats everything nearby and is a serious health hazard. Wet sanding is safer. If you dry sand it you will need a respirator and cover everything. The dust will etch into gelcoat. Don't ask me how I know...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Anti fouling paint is toxic and dry sanding sends clouds of dust in all directions, coats everything nearby and is a serious health hazard. Wet sanding is safer. If you dry sand it you will need a respirator and cover everything. The dust will etch into gelcoat. Don't ask me how I know...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks for the info MikeNY but do i need to sand it down to the aluminum or do i need to only get to the original paint?
And before re-applying it should i repaint the bottom with primer and paint and then anti-fouling? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app