Missing Fisherman Found Dead

Todd in NY

Missing Fisherman Found Dead

I didn't know there was a missing fisherman out of Oswego. But I just read this report that said he was found dead in his cuddy cabin at the bottom of Lake Ontario in 100 FOW. Still under investigation...

Edited by Todd in NY

I didn't get much info on this but from what I can gather there seemed to be a lack of life preservers on board.  Water temps are warm now, so if he had managed to get one on I truly think he would of survived. This is a story that all that fish on any body of water should take heed of. Go over with all on board before you cast away from shore the location of LIFE preservers, flares and any communication devices on board and how to use them. Also everyone should try to stick together while in the water,even tying yourselves together if need be. This tragedy should of never happened with the lake conditions having been so calm for the last few weeks. My prayers do go out to the family.

This is really sad, and odd. You never know when you will end up in the water. One day while motoring out I smelled a plastic burning smell. The trolling motor starter wire chaffed and shorted out. Not fused. Wires were burning. I got it out with fire extinguisher. Scary. Needless to say every wire now had a abfuse and I installed a master cut out to kill all power. But we Always wear life life jackets, even when it is flat calm and 80 degrees. You never know when the transomwill crack, you will hit a floating refrigerator or log or a fire will force you to jump in. Get the life jackets that have the co2 cartridge. They aren't too cumbersome.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

We were out Sunday Morning and you could see a huge vessel about 7 to 8 miles off the Salmon river.  Nobody on the radio seemed to know what going on.  After 9am someone came on the radio and said that they were looking for a body and gave a brief description of the missing person.  They started running a grid search pattern with the helicopter.  The large vessel turned out to be a Canadian Coast cutter (at least 100' long, the largest ship I have ever seen underway on Lake Ontario).  When we went in around 11am, the cutter was approximately 1 mile off the Salmon river  right in the middle of the "combat zone". I am glad to hear they finally located the boat and the missing fisherman.

The gentleman was out with two others - sounds like they took on water and as boat was going down 2 jumped and rode a cooler for a couple hours before being picked up by another fisherman.  The gentleman who owned the boat went down with the boat and according to the 2 survivors they didn't see him in the water after the boat went under.  He was found in the cuddy - my guess is it happened fast and he went down to get life preservers and got trapped as the boat went down.  Small cuddy so I can only imagine maybe he was struggling to get to life preservers with rods and tackle all over the place.  Probably panicking as well.   His boat was slipped a couple slips down from me.  Nice guy - I'm not sure what happened, but as with most tragedies it is usually a chain of events which leads to the overall outcome. 

I followed this almost as soon as it happened late Saturday afternoon. It was reported they were fighting a fish when boat suddenly started taking on water. Obviously something catastrophic happened, speculation possibly a thru hull fitting failed. They will know eventually, either way it's a very sad tradjedty to happen for something we take for granted and enjoy so much. Prayers go out to the family of the captain and to all involved. 

Many boats have a certain amount of swamped capacity. Some have tons. Not sure I'd own a boat with zero.
Makes you wonder how many people have boats that can literally sink and have no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The thru hull fitting have always worried me, I had two, a wash down and a intake for the live wells. I've eliminated both, pumps, lines, fitting and all. Welded them closed(aluminum boat) didn't want to take a chance. Never used either live well and I can wash the boat when I get home.

Google it. Depends on the boat and how it's constructed. My 22 will support 3000lbs with both drain plugs pulled and no bilge. Must say it was a factor in buying it.

8 minutes ago, whaler1 said:

Google it. Depends on the boat and how it's constructed. My 22 will support 3000lbs with both drain plugs pulled and no bilge. Must say it was a factor in buying it.

Sounds like you have a Boston Whaler....great boat!!!

Any decently built boat that has below waterline fittings will have check valves within inches of the fitting. If not IMHO its not a hull worth buying because if they skimped on that they skimped on a lot of other things along the way.

19 minutes ago, whaler1 said:
21 minutes ago, Decoy Hound said:

The thru hull fitting have always worried me, I had two, a wash down and a intake for the live wells. I've eliminated both, pumps, lines, fitting and all. Welded them closed(aluminum boat) didn't want to take a chance. Never used either live well and I can wash the boat when I get home.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

2 minutes ago, Bozeman Bob said:

Any decently built boat that has below waterline fittings will have check valves within inches of the fitting. If not IMHO its not a hull worth buying because if they skimped on that they skimped on a lot of other things along the way.

Your right they did, but still made me nervous, so for peace of mind they are gone!