Missing Fisherman Found Dead

Todd in NY

40 minutes ago, stoneam2006 said:

There's a pic on page 5 of the boat. Was a outboard

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

This is sad. I hope we find out the cause. I could not find the picture of the boat. Pg 5 of what? 

22 hours ago, whaler1 said:

Bayliner

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks Whaler, I find this hard to beleive that the whole works went down. I thought they were supposed to half orsh float no matter what. I tore a few boats apart and rearranged lounge seats to fishing type seats and the amount of foam in every little Nick and cranny they spray that shyt?? Something had to open up big time and fast to capsize a boat of that character to sink that fast let alone sink to the bottom. 

1 hour ago, AnglingAddict said:

As I left to run the boat to Sodus at the end of the season a couple weeks back wife snapped a pic of our boat as I was pulling away - the bayliner on the end of the dock is the boat that went down. 

IMG_6308.PNG

WOW from the looks of things, the man had a lot of good stuff. Boat look immaculate I don't personal think it was rotted transom, that must have hit something a tore a hole in the bottom. Still it shouldn't have gone to the bottom of the drink??

6 hours ago, stoneam2006 said:

Just outta curiosity couldn't you pump it out with bilge? I make a habit to kick mine on every so often (more than I'm sure I need to)

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My front bilge is automatic and it never kicked on. The rear is manual and it would only get about  1/2 inch deep back there, too low for the bilge pump.  

4 hours ago, Bozeman Bob said:

Just about any shut off valve that is not made of steel will work on your thru hull fittings Not sure exactly how your fittings were leaking ,were they cracked or was it the hose that fits onto the fitting that was leaking ? I believe you have a solid glass hull so there wouldn't be any water intrusion into the hull. At any rate a check valve will stop the water at the fitting and that is the route I would take before plugging any though hull fittings. The less water in "the belly" of the boat the better ,especially when you have a 35 year old boat with wood encapsulated stringers, At some point you have to trust your equipment ,know your safety routine and enjoy yourself out there, otherwise you would never leave the dock.

they were leaking around the fitting. I loosened them and put 5200 sealant around them and tightened them back up. I agree, I really don't want water sitting in there. Right now, after the repair i get no water.

A couple of my buddies were on a similar boat about ten years back that sank, when they realized a large amount of water had been taken on, the bilges and attempting to get on plane weren't enough. The boat wouldn't power up and from what I was told the water rushing rearward sent the bow near vertical and the boat sank in seconds, not minutes. And this was in May. Luckily others boats were near and were able to get them out of the water fairly quickly. Ended up being a finger sized hole rotted in the transom that had let the water in. On a side note, I'm not aware of the details in number of bilges, etc. that were on the boat. For what it's worth I always make sure I had one auto and one manual bilge that were working on my boat before I left the dock. Sad story, thoughts go out to the family....

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

My 89 Bayliner Trophy 2160's bilge pump was not connected to a float swich and was not hard wired the the batteries.  I had to reconfigure that for safety.  The Bayliner Trophy that sank looks like a 1991 - 1993...if configured in the same stock manner it could be a contributing factor.  Water reaches a critical point before being noticed, no auto pumping occurs, boat goes down fast especially with the low transom on that outboard model.

11 hours ago, AnglingAddict said:

Best thing you can do to help prevent a tragedy like this is to make sure you have all safety equipment on board, in good condition and easily accessible.  Make sure all thru hulls are properly bedded with the correct sealant (not caulk or silicone).  Inspect hoses yearly for dry rot, cracks or leaks, and make sure all are double clamped with stainless clamps.  Ball valves near thru hulls are good as well.  Bellows inspected and replaced at regular intervals if it's an I/O.  At least a couple bilge pumps as well as an indicator at the dash when a pump is on, wire right into a float switch - this could give you an early indication that something is seeping if you notice the bilge kicking on more than usual.  High water alarm as well.  Rags on board can be used to plug holes in a pinch and slow down rate at which water comes in.  One last thing is to know your boat...inside and out.  Things can still happen fast no doubt.

Great advice here as none of us thinks it can happen to us. Checking your bilge pumps are equally as important. When I put the boat away last season everything worked including the new pump I had just put on the auto switch. This spring before launching I checked and the new pump didn't work but the switch did. After removing the pump I found someone had cut a piece of mono and it found its way into the bilge and wrapped itself around the pump impeller shaft thus burning the pump out. An hour later after a quick trip for a new pump I was back in business but I wasn't going out without that pump functioning. 

Edited by Firechief48

It is truly sad when something like this happens, but it should be a wake up call to each of us. We all tend to concentrate on the fishing stuff down to dotting all the I's and crossing all the t's and then fail to routinely check out things on our boats...just assuming everything is working OK....I am as guilty as anyone.  A good time to thoroughly check out everything is before putting the boat away and then again before using it again as winter can sometimes create its own problems even when the boat is stored inside.

11 hours ago, EYE SPY said:

A couple of my buddies were on a similar boat about ten years back that sank, when they realized a large amount of water had been taken on, the bilges and attempting to get on plane weren't enough. The boat wouldn't power up and from what I was told the water rushing rearward sent the bow near vertical and the boat sank in seconds, not minutes. And this was in May. Luckily others boats were near and were able to get them out of the water fairly quickly. Ended up being a finger sized hole rotted in the transom that had let the water in. On a side note, I'm not aware of the details in number of bilges, etc. that were on the boat. For what it's worth I always make sure I had one auto and one manual bilge that were working on my boat before I left the dock. Sad story, thoughts go out to the family....

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think I know this story.  Glad it worked out for them in the end.  

Matt

Prayers to the families ,This is horrible...but if any positive can come from it all of us will be double checking fittings, bellows, hulls, safety equipment, pumps etc etc. As a firefighter years back we had  a whole family that was lost in a home that didn't have smoke detectors working. Everyone there including myself went home and double checked all theirs as well as most the community.  With something this bad, some positive prevention can take place is my point. Was he or his crew a LOU member?

My dad and I are regulars on LOU. Dad spent lots of time on Marks boat and likewise Mark was a regular on his boat out of Sebers. He was not with Mark on Saturday.

Marks passion was fishing the Big O and he loved it right to end. This is a devastating loss for anyone who knew Mark. He was a great guy and will always be remembered fondly. RIP.

I have used this information to better prepare my boat.  It talks about small, ocean going boats, but pertains to the Great lakes as well.  I closed off through hull fittings, increased pumping capacity and battery isolation circuits to keep afloat in an emergency situation.

http://www.docksidereports.com/small_boat_safety_at_sea.htm

I NEVER ever at any time, anywhere, see any fishermen on a boat wearing flotation.. Nice fishing vests they make these days that are light ,comfortable and will keep you alive... Being a good swimmer means  little if you are 3 miles out without any boats around, and it means nothing at all if its April or early May and the water is 42 degrees... I swim like a cinder block, and wear my  flotation  jacket  no matter where I am in a boat , even fishing for sunnies in 6 feet of water on a flat calm day in 75 degree water... i am so surprised to see so many otherwise smart fishermen never wear flotation even when alons in rough water.. I owe it to my family to come back home after a day on the water... Once you get used to it , you don't even notice you have one on..  A LOT more fishermen should wear a jacket... Just too many things can go wrong..  Half submerged logs full of spikes, rocks, ///   A bellows goes out, thru hull breaks, hose breaks etc, and you sink , even in a ""safe"" boat with "level flotation"... Guys drown every year in well made, modern "safe " boats when something fails... Life vest should be  worn  not stowed in the cuddy... In any case, God rest his soul...bob

The newer four stroke outboards weigh considerably more than the old two strokes. That could pull the boat down with water flowing over the transom. The newer built boats have wider beams to support the heavier engine. High bilge water alarms should be installed for safety now since the marine industry failed to handle them. Never have I seen an article for them.