Missing Fisherman Found Dead

Todd in NY

This should be something to learn from without a doubt, and hopefully the family finds the strength to move on.
But I think its unfair to be critical of the man who lost his life to just assume he died because of not getting on a flotation device.
He could very well have suffered some sort of sudden medical emergency due to the situation which prevented him from helping himself.
But the one thing that is consistent in these tragedies is that thing go wrong very fast, so being prepared is critical.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I read a story on GLAngler mag I believe the editor went in the water when the boat he was in took a swell over the transom , then it couldn't drain fast enough and took another, boat sank in a hurry and they were in the water quick . Dave Mull and 3 others were in the water for 3-4 hours. A fouled prop started the chain reaction, too much weight at the stern trying to clear the prop, a couple swells and down she went, 18 ft boat. The story is on the web, no adults wearing vest, one child did have his on. Coast guard had too search for 2 of the 4. Lucky it was summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

On 9/28/2017 at 9:16 PM, on the lam said:

This should be something to learn from without a doubt, and hopefully the family finds the strength to move on.
But I think its unfair to be critical of the man who lost his life to just assume he died because of not getting on a flotation device.
He could very well have suffered some sort of sudden medical emergency due to the situation which prevented him from helping himself.
But the one thing that is consistent in these tragedies is that thing go wrong very fast, so being prepared is critical.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not critical.. Just feel sorry for him and his loved ones..  3 guys in the water, 1 drowns.... By law he needed to have those 3 jackets available, but like most, sadly  he had them stowed out of quick reach.. Same as most all of us do... think about the fishing trips you go out on regularly.. How many  guys do we see wearing a jacket???.. Never, ..

I am the only adult  I ever see wearing one on any given fishing trip... I feel silly sometimes, but wear it anyway.. More of us  should wear them I think..

That was an interesting read J.D. The why and how of this incident is still being investigated. I don't know if speculating on any one cause is a good idea. If anything we can learn from it.  It is always sad to see these tragedies. Especially, when it happens to people who share our passion for the water and fishing. Condolences to his family and friends.

Here is an article I found online that covers a lot of reasons why boats sink and how to prevent it..

http://www.boatingmag.com/how-to/30-ways-to-sink-boat-and-29-to-prevent-it

4 hours ago, shadster said:

That was an interesting read J.D. The why and how of this incident is still being investigated. I don't know if speculating on any one cause is a good idea. If anything we can learn from it.  It is always sad to see these tragedies. Especially, when it happens to people who share our passion for the water and fishing. Condolences to his family and friends.

Here is an article I found online that covers a lot of reasons why boats sink and how to prevent it..

http://www.boatingmag.com/how-to/30-ways-to-sink-boat-and-29-to-prevent-it

That's a good read, thanks for sharing!

Older model boats were designed for level floatation. We add kicker motors and spotlock motors and extra batteries. A newer four stroke motor on the transom really upsets the level floatation design. The transom weight changes will pull the boat down stern first. Being trapped in the cabin possibly by fishing gear hooks while searching for life jackets that were not readily available could contribute. This is just speculation professional investigation might have the answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

Above and beyond good properly wired and working redundant bilge systems, the next most important item to keep from sinking is a couple of buckets.  If you have ever seen the fishing fleet in third world countries you would first feel good about the safety of your own rig.  Second, they have a crucifix or cross mounted somewhere.  Third, they have buckets.