PT Breeze recreational fishing association?

ogrob56

PT Breeze recreational fishing association?

What a great year it was for fishing Lake Ontario. High water problems and closed launches notwithstanding, it was once again a totally great experience being out there. So yeah, I’m done for the season and have already made about 95% of the winterizing efforts on my old Starcraft Mariner. This usually starts on Labor Day weekend for me.

Maybe it’s just me but it did seem to be a bit more windy than other seasons in general. I’m pretty much a fair-weather fisherman and don’t usually venture out unless the wind forecast begins with the letter “S”. The boat doesn’t mind the  rough weather but these old bones can only take so much rocking around before the joy of fishing  is surpassed by too much effort trying to stand upright.

Generally-speaking, I like to fish the deep water. This is a preference not always shared with the folks I fish with. But, sharing the experience with others is always a give and take proposition so sometimes I get a chance to go north of the 29 Line and sometimes I don’t. Whichever way it works out, I’m always grateful for having had the chance to be heading out there, into the wind with the water rolling under the bow and the fresh clean air filling my lungs.  Sometimes we’re accompanied by the sound of Jimmy Buffett on Sirius XM but, more-often than not, it’s just good conversation, the brush of gentle waves against the hull and the subtle whine of the down-rigger cables cutting through the water column.

Looking back on the season it occurred to me that there were a great many days that I didn’t get to fish, even though the weather was good. I’d be home, tinkering with the boat in the barn, wishing I could have been on the lake but, being  on the upper side of 60, and not in the greatest health it would be unwise to go out by myself. Not quite ready for the pine box yet, it hurts to miss all those opportunities. Still, I would like to have a face to face with a perspective partner beforehand just to get some idea who I’m fishin with.

I remember also some dialogue on LOU that makes me suspect that I’m not the only one with this experience. If there are other lake fishermen out there in the Pt. Breeze area who would like to meet at a nearby location, swap a few lies, and kick around the idea of partnering up to get more time on the lake next season, (I’m thinking some Saturday afternoon) shoot me an email at: [email protected].  I promise not to publish your name, email address, or phone number on this or any other forum. Fishin on another Lake Troller’s boat is a great way to learn about some of the things you have been doing wrong all these years and maybe share some tidbit that you have picked up along the way. The more participation we get for this little association, the more likely we are to find someone who could be fun to fish with for a few hours.

I would also like to extend this invitation to younger bloods with a passion for fishing who perhaps don’t have a boat but would like an opportunity to learn about lake trolling. Five guys can fish my boat in relative comfort (as long as it doesn’t rain) so a Dad with two teenage sons wouldn’t be a problem at all.  This summer I had occasion to fish with 3 guys I had barely met and who had never fished the lake before. We had a great time and laughed the whole time we were out. New Guys: Trust me if you’ve never had your hands-on downriggers, planner boards, electronic sounders, radios, auto pilots, troll controllers, fish hawks and long rods, you will soon realize that there is a great deal of learning to be had just “goin fishin”. From launching the vessel to loading it back up again, there are a boatload of details that can’t be overlooked. Along with the technical stuff there is also learning to be prepared and safe. There is practicing self -control, learning to remain calm, learning to move about the vessel smoothly and deliberately, you never exhibit jerky motions without thinking. Always know the way home.  Any of these things might save you from a catastrophe when you are 12 miles north of Pt. Breeze. Oh yeah, did I mention that although many things are similar, each boat owner has his own unique way of doing things.

Meeting new people doesn’t have to be awkward. Remember anyone who would show up at a gathering like this is a fisherman too,  so you will always have that in common. So, think it over and let me know if you think the idea has any interest for you? – Rob    (I wanted this message to target guys who read the fishing reports but since it isn’t a fishing report I chose  to put it on the “open lake discussion” as the next best thing. If you read it please pass it along to those that you think might be interested)

This is a very generous post from you. I am sure you will be successful with finding like minded fishermen who share the love and passion of fishing in the lady lake O. I have similar experience of meeting up somebody new and taking them out on my boat and over the years of fishing together, we have become very good friends.

Bless you Rob.