Transducer angle

Bad Habit

Transducer angle

I don't seem to be getting true "hooks" on my fish finder. I was thinking maybe my transducer is angled a little to much forward. I also lose the downrigger balls on the screen when I'm fishing deeper. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.

fishfinder.jpg

Transducer angle  I don't seem to be getting true "hooks" on my fish finder. I was thinking maybe my transducer is angled a little to much forward. I also lose the downrigger balls on the screen when I'm fishing deeper. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.
fishfinder.thumb.jpg.9f022130b3a1a05bb995e55f1d03ccbc.jpg

you won't Mark your rigger balls if it's not angles back due to blowback. it may distort the hooks and the depth a bitbut you'll still see them and will see the balls aswell.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Lake Ontario United mobile app

A lot of possibilities at work here.:)  The rigger ball problem may be related to the weight of the balls, the boat speed and down speed at the rigger weight which in turn will influence the degree of "blowback". If  significant underwater current is present that may also be a contributor to taking your weights out of the cone range of the transducer. Not all transducers are recommended for the straight down position so you need to follow the transducer installation instructions for your specific trandsducer. I'm not familiar with your particular unit but many have multiple frequency capability with recommendations for shallow or deep water use. Sometimes it is useful to try different selections of frequencies in your menu (e.g. 83 khz vs. 200 khz in mine for example) to see what impact that has on seeing your rigger weights. You should however be able to see at least one I should think  in 57 ft of water regardless of setting  if the transducer is angled properly. Usually the setting with the lowest KHZ setting has the widest cone angle so at depth this one should display the weights but as you go deeper and deeper at some point you will probably lose the weight on the display anyway regardless of setting because of the above mentioned factors. As far as the lack of arched marks with the fish - it could relate to your speed or fish moving along with say current etc.right along with your boat speed preventing the "arch" shape or the fishes position within the cone angle of the transducer.... if your transducer is mounted correctly.

Edited by Sk8man