Rod builder

I'd contact John Powell who posted above. He has a great reputation and I'm sure can build something to suit you. There's lots of great choices to be made and it's a fun process designing a custom build.

For custom saltwater surf rods popular along the southern coast I would recommend Wes and Mary Christie at Palmetto Rod and Reel repair. They’re in South Carolina. They specialize in surf rods and build some of the best there is. They’ve competed against me in the world rodbuilding championship so I’m familiar with the quality of their work and can vouch for it. http://palmettorod.com/

If I was looking for a more northern style surf rod, I’d contact Al Goldberg. He’s been building Surf rods for nearly 50 years. I don’t know him as well as the Christies, but I’ve seen his work and sat through a seminar he gave on surf rod design at a Rodbuilder gathering. I don’t have Al’s contact info handy to pass on, but he can be reached through the Stripers Online forum, he posts in the surf talk section. Al has built rods for people who compete in distance casting competitions so obviously his stuff performs.

Can’t go wrong with either, so I’d go with whichever area you plan to fish, northern Al Goldberg, Southern Wes and Mary Christie.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Dylan - I think you lucked out in getting the information you did from John Powell. He is a MASTER rod builder as well as a very knowledgeable boater and fisherman and I'd say you can take that info to the bank. It is great that John shares his expertise on here.

Edited by Sk8man

For custom saltwater surf rods popular along the southern coast I would recommend Wes and Mary Christie at Palmetto Rod and Reel repair. They’re in South Carolina. They specialize in surf rods and build some of the best there is. They’ve competed against me in the world rodbuilding championship so I’m familiar with the quality of their work and can vouch for it. http://palmettorod.com/

If I was looking for a more northern style surf rod, I’d contact Al Goldberg. He’s been building Surf rods for nearly 50 years. I don’t know him as well as the Christies, but I’ve seen his work and sat through a seminar he gave on surf rod design at a Rodbuilder gathering. I don’t have Al’s contact info handy to pass on, but he can be reached through the Stripers Online forum, he posts in the surf talk section. Al has built rods for people who compete in distance casting competitions so obviously his stuff performs.

Can’t go wrong with either, so I’d go with whichever area you plan to fish, northern Al Goldberg, Southern Wes and Mary Christie.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thank you very much!

Sent from my Z797C using Lake Ontario United mobile app