seeking rod/ reel recommendations

seeking rod/ reel recommendations

Looking for some recommendations on a casting rod/ reel for medium sized pike/ musky lures, with a few heavier lures thrown in? Also would double as a trolling rod when the situation permits and the arms are tired. Looking for something solid but relatively economical, any suggestions would be appreciated.

1st got to get a rod that matches the weight of the intended baits. Say (1 to 3) oz. This is what I use for pike/musky. Depending on the rod you can overload it a little. I throw baits up to 3.5 oz. Then for spinners and small stick-baits (pike fishing) I use a rod rated for (0.5 to 1.5) oz. baits. I prefer 8' length myself, helps when casting the bigger baits. Check out St. Croix, can't go wrong. Also I found their customer service department helpful. I use spinning rod-reels compo's and if you go this route you can't go wrong with the Stadic reels by Shimano 4000 for the heavier rod(s) 3000 for the lighter rod(s). I wouldn't suggest the 3000 for Musky's however. In my experience a big pike is 10 to 15+ pounds. A big Musky is 20 to 30+ pounds.

Let us know how you make out.

St croixs are nice. I own some, but they are usually a little more expensive. All muskie stuff is expensive, but here are a couple good choices that may be a little more economical. St Croix may have some lower cost options too.

Probably like an 8 or 8.5' MH for you

http://www.biggametackleco.com/muskie-rods.html

https://tackleindustries.com/shop/musky_pike_bass_walleye_crappie_fishing_rods/musky_pike_fishing_rods/musky_pike_rods/

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have a bunch of musky rods including some St. Croix jobs. My favorite is a 7’6” bass pro Pete Maina rod. Caught tons of fish on it including two over 50”. It was around $110.00 and I’ve had it 10 years. Maina not with them anymore. Now they sell “Musky angler”,not sure if it’s the same rod. They sell a longer two piece rod that will break at a bad time.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United