New boat.

Fishnut

I just bought a new to me boat, it's a bay liner classic 2452 hardtop. My wife loves it.

We do a lot of trolling.

My question is trolling plates? Does anyone use one? And how effective are they? The older fella I bought it from says I will have no trouble getting down to 1.2 mph. My concern is how much control will I loose?

I'm I better off with a drift bag or even 2 ?

What size drift bag would I need?

Any recommendations? Other than a kicker motor, that's out of the question for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Use bags. I have a 25ft Baha Cruisers and I have 2 bags. 1 is a 22" and the other is a 30". Sometimes I need both and sometimes 1 or the other will work alone, depends on wind and waves. I had 2, 22" bags but found sometimes it wasn't enough hence the bigger bag. With bags I can keep my rpms anywhere from 900-1100 giving me plenty of control. The other good thing about bags is the safety factor. Should you lose power in rough water you can deploy the bag off the bow to keep it into the waves. Plates are rough on seals too.

Total Chaos

Use bags. I have a 25ft Baha Cruisers and I have 2 bags. 1 is a 22" and the other is a 30". Sometimes I need both and sometimes 1 or the other will work alone, depends on wind and waves. I had 2, 22" bags but found sometimes it wasn't enough hence the bigger bag. With bags I can keep my rpms anywhere from 900-1100 giving me plenty of control. The other good thing about bags is the safety factor. Should you lose power in rough water you can deploy the bag off the bow to keep it into the waves. Plates are rough on seals too.
Total Chaos

Thanks for the information, just what I'm looking for. [emoji1303]

I was told not to use a trolling plate, use bags if your not going with a kicker. The bags will act as ankers to hold the boat down in rough water. The trolling plates, I had them they might be alright for smaller motors, I had the best on mine it had a plate over the prop and hinged about 5/8 from the bottom. That was so if you forget to release the plate and go on the throttle it doesn't bend the plate all to hell. Mine is all bent to hell. Because I didn't release it myself asked the guys to release the plate, Yup we did after the hole shot to get on plane I know something isn't right!!?? They never released it properly, so there went a close to $200. Plus they put to much back pressure on the prop shims and will eventually cause failure to the lower unit. Bags are the way to fly. Best of luck and congrats to your new ride!! PAP

3 minutes ago, Fishnut said:

Thanks Pap. I think I'll pick up a bag at the marina before I launch.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You will need 2 one for each side. You will need trolling bags not drift socks, I would go with the 22" or the nest size up. I put the the rope on a cleat or something sturdy and make sure it  doesnt reach the prop. I ran a rope from a cleat in the front to the stern, then put the rope through the front rope of the bag and the other end should be a loop thread the rope through there, tie off the bag in the rear so it can't reach the prop. And the front let down that just the top of the bag is even with the water. Now tie that off at the bag and the rope at the nearest cleat. Now your bag will be along side your boat, not under it and out of the prop.  Any questions just call me and I'll try to help.  PAP

Trolling plates work great getting your speed down without a doubt. They are hell on your lower unit though. On my third now in 7 years. Needless to say plate didnt go back on. Lighter boats will see a loss of maneurabilty. Get yourself trolling bags.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I'll pick up a pair.
Might need some guidance getting them correct.
I have a 6 hp kicker but I really don't want to pull it off my little boat. My plan is to buy a 4stroke for the big boat. I'm thinking a 15 or 20 Hp?
Besides I would feel a lot better with 2 motors.
So 2 trolling bags one size up from 22". Thanks guys.

How do you run only 1 bag with out going in circles. Just curious do you run it off the stern mid ship or some how down the middle of the boat. I know when I use my trolling bags I had to run 2 or nothing other wise boat wanders all over the place. Also had to make sure I tied back of the bag to the stern cleat to keep from getting pulled all over from the currents and waves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

How do you run only 1 bag with out going in circles. Just curious do you run it off the stern mid ship or some how down the middle of the boat. I know when I use my trolling bags I had to run 2 or nothing other wise boat wanders all over the place. Also had to make sure I tied back of the bag to the stern cleat to keep from getting pulled all over from the currents and waves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I had same experience with mine 2 bags tied front and rear just under surface otherwise I was all screwy

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Just be sure you are getting trolling bags, and not drift bags.  That boat your running is going to tug hard enough to shred a pair of drift bags in short order.  Trolling bags are way heavier duty(more costly too), but are designed to take the constant tugging of big boats.  Popular trolling bags are Amish Outfitters, Big Papa Sportfishing, and some fabric shops can make them for you.  Good luck and enjoy the new boat.

Matt.

I had a plate for years on my previous boat but like Pap said I reinforced it so it wouldn't bend, never had a problem. My boat now is bigger with a kicker and I carry bags just incase. IMO  a kicker is the way to go, just for the fact that you have another engine as a backup. 

I’ve had several brand trolling plates, plastic and aluminum. Not one lasted a full season before either bending, breaking, or the cord getting ripped off. You think you can manage one...but in high seas it is difficult. Might be fine on a small outboard boat, but never a larger I/O. I’ve used 5 gallon buckets with small holes drilled in the bottom with success - but it was a smaller boat. I’m sure large trolling bags are your ticket. [emoji1303]

Great tip ghostrider67. I went from a 21 to a 19 pitch. Pitch and RPM have an inverse relationship. A 1” reduction in pitch will increase RPM by about 200. Top speed is reduced but trolling RPM increases.

I don't see how a plate when idling around trolling puts more strain on the lower unit, then having the boat wide open with no plate. I can understand that if the plate is down and you open it up, it would put a lot of stain on the unit as your bending the plate. I use one and it's a easy way to go.

Congrats on the "new" boat, very nice! I use 28" Amish Outfitters bags on my 21ft Bayliner Trophy. It has a 5L/305 OMC Cobra I/O. I think 2 bags cost $100 for both (50ea).

Just picked up a pair of Amish bags 28" @ 54.00 each.

Just now, Fishnut said:

Just picked up a pair of Amish bags 28" @ 54.00 each.

They are very well made. Mine came with extremely long lines so I trimmed the lines a bit and melted the ends with a grill lighter. I taped the ends before I cut them because they will unravel in a hurry if you don't.