DIY Alaska Moose Hunt

Hookedup

DIY Alaska Moose Hunt

My dad and I just got back from a DIY moose hunt in the Yukon Delta on the westside of Alaska.  Had a great trip, the area we got dropped off in was loaded with moose.  I called in over 15 different bulls and we each killed a bull.  Found a couple great bulls 60 inch plus but way to far from water or camp to kill.  Having to pack it out on the bone on your back in swamp and tundra limits your carrying distance.  Had some wolfs near camp on day one but with the no hunting on the same day you fly in rule they got a pass.  Killed my bull from camp across the lake at 700 yards with my 338 Edge and called my dad's right into camp which made for a nice and easy packing job. We had bulls walk into camp almost every night which will get your attention when they start grunting and destroying trees. LOL. Was an awesome trip, hard work but we'll worth it.

IMG_20170922_140709351.jpg

IMG_20170927_103337.jpg

IMG_20170921_125754338_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170923_100535765_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170924_095344405_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170923_201328859.jpg

DSCN6746.JPG

DSCN6751.JPG

Totally awesome trip, this brings much joy seeing a family doing such a only being there and doing it, can really relate to the best time of your life type of a trip. My brother and I went on a simular hunt, so I can really relate to your trip. Those back strap pieces in the fry pan makes my mouth water just seeing that pic. Thanks for sharing your trip and awesome time and memories that no one can take away from you!! You will have the best of the meats to share with your family and freinds. Congrats to all who went on a trip of a lifetime.:yes::yes:.

1 minute ago, flybuster said:

Question, I was under the impression that you had to have a guide or kin to hunt Alaska, is that not the case as you mentioned diy?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You can hunt moose, black bear, wolf, and caribou without a guide or kin.  The powers that be in Alaska won't let you hunt grizzly, brown bear or sheep without a guide.  Which is why it cost 18 grand to kill a brown bear with a guide that if allowed I could get dropped off and kill one for under 4k.   As for now  I hope the state never changes the rules for moose.  

Awesome. Congrats to you and Dad. Hope to go on a hunt like that with my dad one of these days. Did you prepare from a fitness perspective in anticipation of your trip? Moose and Alaska wilderness can make for a real test of endurance. Thanks for sharing. Very cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

You can hunt moose, black bear, wolf, and caribou without a guide or kin.  The powers that be in Alaska won't let you hunt grizzly, brown bear or sheep without a guide.  Which is why it cost 18 grand to kill a brown bear with a guide that if allowed I could get dropped off and kill one for under 4k.   As for now  I hope the state never changes the rules for moose.  

Awesome thanks nice job on your hunt by the way. I only ask because I'm seriously considering buying a house at the moment near sheep mountain about a hour east of anchorage and the kicker I read is that you have to be a year round 365 day resident to qualify for "resident licenses" and that kind of jammed up the dream for the moment but hearing this I'm going to have to do some different research thank you very much!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app