2017 Hunting Photo Contest- Winners!

Legacy

Thats my point there is no way to tell from mass or body size. You have to see the teeth. And why I say doubt 6 and half is becauae that is a old ass deer. by 7 years old there is no teeth left wore right down to nothing

Sent from my VS987 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Teeth are a good way to judge age, I shot a doe that my sister n neighbor rehabed after being caught in a fence as a fawn. it had a broken back leg. They wrapped the rear leg and it survived for 8 more years. The bone healed and I still have the leg is was obvious that it was put into a splint and healed. This doe was 8 1/2 years old the rear teeth were worn but still fine. I think a lot depends on how many acorns it eats over it's lifetime. This deer had beautiful alfalfa to eat and plenty of corn but not as many oaks as other areas.. truly the only way to tell is by sending out a tooth.
IMG_20151203_082359.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 12/13/2017 at 11:51 AM, craigk said:

Nice buck but doubt its 6 or 7 years old

Sent from my VS987 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

FWIW I'm basing that on 3 years of pictures.  In 2015 he had similar rack size and the same drop off the right beam every year.  He was at least a 3 1/2 year old then as a 2 1/2 year old around here wouldn't have that kind of rack.  

IMG_0988.JPG

Edited by slipbob

On 12/20/2017 at 11:37 AM, Nautitroller said:

IMG_20161101_084450.jpg
Frosty alfalfa bow kill.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yes I have to agree DJ!! Looks like the big man in the heavens is shining his blessings on this situation and for John to count his blessings for a shot at this magnificent buck and for the food it will make for his family!!! Really a neat photo!!