DEC gets 31 drones in order to better patrol the state's environment

rolmops

DEC gets 31 drones in order to better patrol the state's environment

I read this just 2 days ago. Once they are up to speed with all these drones they should be able to gather a lot more information. Imagine this scenario. Jo fisherman sees poachers snagging fish, but he is by himself and cannot risk a fight. All he has to do is call the DEC and allows them to take his coordinates from the gps on his phone. Some minutes later there is a buzzing sound in the sky and a camera films the misdeeds from above. This will certainly help the very thin spread DEC police force because now they have eyes in the sky.

Edited by rolmops

20 minutes ago, ogrob56 said:

Let me guess- you were a hall monitor in high school right?

It may be hard for you to grasp the concept,but some people actually care about wildlife protection.

It may be hard for you to grasp the concept,but some people actually care about wildlife protection.

I meant no disrespect. I thought it was funny. I do care about our wildlife. Ps. JK is short for just kidding. Sorry [emoji52]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

i can see where drones could be a tool to help find down people or chasing some one down on the run . but i can also see  ogrob56 point too . i can see the dec just putting them in the air to watch hunters or some one in a boat having a good time . do you want some dam drone zooming in while you are taking a crap in the woods or in a boat with your lady friend. i rather be free american  and not have the government watching every thing the honest people do for god shakes ! we should just line up and put a gps / camera in  our bodies that report to Cuomo and Schumer 

Edited by fisherdude

The Genny gorge would be perfect area to use it...
The Officers always face the danger of getting bricks thrown at them from the bridge....
Now all they have to do is sit up on the bridge, run the drone down...take good video of violators...then stop them as they come up....
I think its a step in the right direction.... Personally I could care less what technology they use....because I play by the rules.
I'm not a huge fan of the DEC's lake management...however I appreciate the law enforcement officers. I understand how short staffed they are and what obstacles they face in prosecuting cases. Every time I've been stopped I always thank them for the hard job they do.

Sent from my VS987 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

If the drones are used for fisheries and wildlife management purposes or emergency response, I am all for this. 

Unfortunately, Albany will use these for monitoring the People of New York.  I am not a fan of all the electronic monitoring we have around us now.  I could foresee the day when each of us will be required to wear a GoPro while fishing and hunting and be required to send all footage back to Albany for verification that you are abiding by all rules and regulations.  Government mandated video cameras in motor vehicles are not that far off. 

Big Brother is watching.

These 31 drones will be very thin spread and indeed they will be used most of the time for search and rescue operations. For 31 drones you also need 31 people to handle them. This is a large chunk out of the DEC manpower as it currently stands. I would share all the "big brother" concerns if there were 500 of them. For the meantime, every time you walk in the city, step in a store or drive on the express way, a camera watches you. So those 31 drones will not make much of a difference.Besides, every DEC officer I have ever met ,seems to be an honorable person.

Although I share concerns about privacy and potential improper use by "big brother"  folks should be more concerned about the private use of drones as hazards to safety, interference with aircraft, and the potential for terrorists and "nutcases" to remotely deliver explosives etc.  The fact that they aren't being closely regulated and are widely available without any controls is pretty scary.

Edited by Sk8man