Crestliner Sabre SST Transom Issues?

Todd in NY

Crestliner Sabre SST Transom Issues?

I'm looking at some 22ft Sabres with the SST transom and I'm wondering if any of you have ever had any transom issues like welds cracking, or maybe replaced one of these transoms. Does the main transom have wood in it, or just the extended transom. Any information you can pass along would be greatly appreciated.

By the sounds of it, no one on LOU has had any problems with the SST transom welds cracking. There seems to be a few cases talked about on another forum, but I'm not a member on the walleye forum. It comes up when I do a goo gle search.

I noticed that 1988 was the first year for their SST (extended) transom. Then they extended the sides of the SST high in 1990.

fwiw, i would have preferred an sst transom with an outboard instead of the i/o, but there weren't any available. i had a line on a 23' eagle hardtop with the sst, 200 hp outboard and a 15 hp kicker, but somebody beat me to it. then i found the eagle i now have currently. they're getting pretty hard to come by, the eagles and the sabres. guys tend to hang on to them, and i can see why. they're excellent boats.

I like the idea of not having rivets in a "Great Lakes" boat. It's fine in my 16' utility boat because it's not getting caught out in rough seas, or taking a beating like Lake Ontario can throw at us. I'm looking for an outboard Sabre with a hard top.

Edited by Todd in NY