Water level

My experience at Ketchikan Alaska with thirty foot tides, showed floating docks can overcome the government Water hoarders that control the hydro power systems. Marinas in the St Lawrence river are putting floating docks now to overcome the actions of the water levels commissions. The wooden docks will soon be history as marina operators adapt to survive.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The lake is still 1' above average. How are they leaving us high and dry? When I pulled my boat a couple weeks ago, the lake was higher that it was when it topped out in 2016. If they put the plug back in now, we would be in serious trouble next season.

The high and dry comment is referring to next season,not this,and there is sarcasm in reference to how the state works...... Constant tides and the ocean are not controlled by any government and that has been taken into account by the operaters of any marinas with those conditions ...Floating docks are all well and good,BUT,there is more to it than just that. Retaining walls were under water,meaning parking lots and other structures were being flooded out. Electric post/outlets were under water as well. How about the breakwalls at the harbor entrances being under water and useless,who is going to remedy them so they work Launch ramps are also affected big time and in many cases  floating finger piers arent going to help when your trying to launch/retrieve  on flat ground instead of being on a actual ramp.All the needed improvements to keep many marinas open will cost some serious money. That will no doubt lead to higher dock fees . Hopefully they get it right next season. 

9 hours ago, Bozeman Bob said:

The high and dry comment is referring to next season,not this,and there is sarcasm in reference to how the state works...... Constant tides and the ocean are not controlled by any government and that has been taken into account by the operaters of any marinas with those conditions ...Floating docks are all well and good,BUT,there is more to it than just that. Retaining walls were under water,meaning parking lots and other structures were being flooded out. Electric post/outlets were under water as well. How about the breakwalls at the harbor entrances being under water and useless,who is going to remedy them so they work Launch ramps are also affected big time and in many cases  floating finger piers arent going to help when your trying to launch/retrieve  on flat ground instead of being on a actual ramp.All the needed improvements to keep many marinas open will cost some serious money. That will no doubt lead to higher dock fees . Hopefully they get it right next season. 

The thing that raises concern with me is Lake Erie is going to be the same height as this spring.  The water coming into Lake Ontario is more than normal when we have this condition and not controlled.  Above average rainfall again and we may be playing this nightmare over again. 

I think they need to jack up lake Ontario to make it a level playing field out there. Seriously, I hope this situation gets straightened out at some point....many of the businesses along the shore can't afford to take another hit....and probably most of the cottage owners as well.

•  

At the Black River Camp Grounds, Allen's docks are floating, problem is there's about 50' of water you need to cross to get to the docks, which he made a damn nice metal walkway. This year he had to get those concrete highway barrier to use as a support to put a at least 3 foot higher walkway out of aluminumm construction planks to get to our boats, other than in the spring it a haul to get to good fishing waters, Henderson. Which was azz hole deep to a 10ft Indian. I had chest waders on to get to the docks. Water was running through B&J bait shop. Something defiantly needs to be done. Also our camp was like a morgue this year. He has to raise prices to compensate for his cost. So like Les mentioned above, $hit flows down and we are all at the bottom, whether your a land owner, bait shop owner or a out of state fisherman like I, it effects us all!!!:no:

I don't have a problem with business raising there prices to stay in business, (they have to eat too) but I would expect them prices to not rise as fast as the inflation rate once they are out of the woods. (like next year or the one after) Does that make sense?

I guess what I'm saying is I don't mind paying more if its going to save someone's lively hood. (keep them in business)

13 minutes ago, jimski2 said:

Waterfront property owners are responsible for their improvements even if the government and nature does them wrong.

First off "nature" had nothing to do with the actual flooding. It was all a result of a government installed dam on the St. Lawrence. No dam/no flooding. If the government came in and flooded the street you live on for whatever reason and destroyed your houses foundation along with the actual house would you be thinking you should be paying out of your own pocket for rebuilding your house ? I do not own waterfront property but I think every one that was affected can "thank" the government for completely screwing it up. And yes I would be first in line looking for reimbursement.

56 minutes ago, Bozeman Bob said:

First off "nature" had nothing to do with the actual flooding. It was all a result of a government installed dam on the St. Lawrence. No dam/no flooding. If the government came in and flooded the street you live on for whatever reason and destroyed your houses foundation along with the actual house would you be thinking you should be paying out of your own pocket for rebuilding your house ? I do not own waterfront property but I think every one that was affected can "thank" the government for completely screwing it up. And yes I would be first in line looking for reimbursement.

Nature did have some part in the flooding.  Erie being high this spring and way above average rainfall was caused by nature not the Dam.  The Dam and regulation of the water level are part of the cause too.  If Erie was not high and we had average or below average rainfall, this would not have happened.  One of my biggest problems with the flooding was the new water level plan.  They did not follow their own plan.  When the lake reached certain levels, there were steps that were supposed to be followed and they did not. 

I respectively disagree with Gambler. Lake Erie in past years has had a high water level along with the rain , maybe not 6 " above average but still enough of it. IF there was no dam and  Erie along with the rain we had were the same there would of been no flooding, period. How do you explain Os level continuing to climb weeks/months after the rains had stopped . There is only one a reason and that is a government controlled dam. Erie's water is pretty constant coming into O even with its high levels, maybe it raises it a inch or 2 but not 2-3 feet .

Edited by Bozeman Bob

1 hour ago, jimski2 said:

All the Great Lakes had record levels this year, the rain coming from the Gulf of Mexico and its hurricanes.

There were no hurricanes in the spring and for most of the summer as well. There was very  few rainu days ,if any ,that were fueled by the Gulf during the same time period. I didn't hear about any flooding in the other 4 Great Lakes, Erie's level was high,but no where near record high. The mouth of the Niagara River actually impedes much of the excess water with it narrow funnel shape. It will rise slowly but not enough to have any real repercussions on O. or the people that live along the river.

Edited by Bozeman Bob

With the amount of rain we received this spring in a short duration, snow melt on tug hill and Lake Erie being well above the historical average, you can't just blame the dam. Even if the dam was not there, the St Lawrence can only let so much water out. With all the tributaries around the lake, the lake would still rise. Maybe not to the extent it did this year but it would still rise. The IJC could have let more water through the dam but shipping is apparently more important that thousands of home owners on Lake Ontario and the St Lawrence. Once the lake hit trigger levels, the IJC did not follow their own plan.

I sure can blame the government.  Tug Hill snowmelt, seriously is a drop in the bucket. And take a wild guess where that snow came from, Lake Ontario as in.lake effect, like 95% of the rest of the snowmelt that makes it way back to where it came from. Rain in early spring does not translate to 3 feet above average in late July or even mid june. The government did mention rain,and why ? To cover there ass's and hope that some people bought into it. I did not. 

You can blame the Government to a point but we received an EXTRA 7.12" of rain from March to July.  Over the Lake Ontario drainage basin that's lots of water.  The dam holds back the water and the IJC controls the outflows but mother nature is a huge piece of the puzzle.  Blame the government all you want but they cant be fully to blame.  If we had normal rainfall would the lake have flooded?  If we had below rainfall would the lake have flooded?  I think not......

Edited by GAMBLER

Sorry Brian, but the implement of the 2014 plan is the culprit here. Yup we had a lot of rain in the spring, but I'd be willing to bet we wouldn't of have raised the docks at Tommy's or most other marinas on the lake wouldn't of had water over their docks. I've been on that creek for well over 30 years with some big spring rains and have never seen anything like what happened this spring. Again, if their were no 2014 plan, we wouldn't be having this debate.

Lake Ontario salmon fishing charters

The plan is part to blame Scott.  When triggers were met to make changes, they did not.  It is a comedy of errors.  Plain and simple, if we didn't get the rains, Plan 2014 or not, we would not have flooded to the extent we did.  Plan 2014 levels were supposed to top out above the historical average by less than a foot not 3'.