Fishing after the salmon run

Fish don’t evaporate after Labor-day. Heck some guys fish the lower Niagara all winter long because the current is so violently swift it has a hard time freezing over. It’s a question of desire and endurance vs. nature. I’ve been there “fishin the drift” for bass up by the power station and I can tell you it doesn’t take long to cover quite a bit of ground on the way downstream. Often the whirlpools will grab you and spin you around like a top until you fire up the outboard and pull out of it. The first time it happens to you, you might experience a fair amount of sphincter restriction. Any way the point is that if you give the right guy a boat he will go where the fish are, any time and any place. But you can’t catch anything except a cold or some impolite to mention social disease on the couch. So, sure you can catch fish in the lake in the dwindling warm days of fall.

You don’t say how much boat you have. Make sure you know how much water you need under you to operate safely. Work the shore line vigorously but keep an eye on your electronics so you know how the bottom looks. If you can find structure or gravel bottom so much the better. Jerk your bait around. A little fast and then a little slow. Drive an “S” pattern, make the pattern as tight as you can without tangling lines. If you can, get a pair of planer boards so you can throw your lines closer to shore without endangering your drive unit or prop.  I’ve seen some “Big John” setups for sale on this forum that were pretty reasonable. Everyone you talk to will likely recommend a different bait or scent. Truth is that on any given day this bait will work better than that bait. The big variables to watch are temp and water color. Stained water may require a brighter presentation.  Maybe start with jointed Rapala J-9’s or thundersticks.  J-plugs are sometimes the answer. I know guys that swear by Mepps pike spiners, so nothing is really out- of- bounds. If the bite is on, they would probably hit a beer can tab with a hook on it, so don’t be afraid to try out your spoons.

You are already doing the best thing. You’re getting out there.

-best of luck, Rob

Thanks Rob. I have a 18' Spectrum with a 120 and a bow trolling motor. I'm one of the guys that runs the lower river. That it why I had bought the outboard last year. I have a couple people that I fish with that are uncomfortable with the fast moving water. I wasn't sure with the steelhead if it would be an offshore thing or a shallow thing. After I caught my first king and did a charter I have a new obsession lol. With a handful of charter captains and you guys on this site have helped my learning curve a lot. I appreciate any of the help you guys have given me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The boat ramp at Lewiston is salted regularly to allow outboard trailer boats to access the river all winter . Outboards drain immediately after leaving the river with an extra crank given for confidence. Quilted coveralls and insulated boots work and extra gloves get you by with the snow and ice bergs flowing by. Light action spinning gear with 6 pound test line will bring winter steelhead to your boat. The same fish need 20 pound test after the river warms above 45 degrees. On your first trip you will best was be served by using a guide service which will improve your success quickly. North winds are a day to stay home though

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United