Copper at 3.8 to 4 mph

35 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

Speed will kill depth for sure. At 4 mph, I bet a 300 Cu would only make 30-35' of depth. Less drag using torpedo divers on an OR-16 release. 

Gill

I want to run off in-line boards or my mast and big boards 'During the Fall to Spring I will run 50', 100' Copper off the inline boards getting just below the surface 

But now that I am hooked on the Optimizer spoons and there higher speeds have been hooking up Larger fish

Edited by stan

4 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

Stan - If ou have a Fishawk TD hook it up to the copper  to tell you where it is running.

Just a thought, I do have one and I thought about it. I think you would be way off the depth once you took off the TD would be different I would think?

My Fishhawk on the dash would not help so I bought the TD couple months ago to get true blowback off the riggers at depth 

Good luck with it Stan. You should get some idea of the rise in the wire from insertion to coming up to speed too as well as the temps although that data will be limited due to the fact that it probably won't be going very deep.

4 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Stan - If ou have a Fishawk TD hook it up to the copper  to tell you where it is running.

I have never run the TDs but have always wondered how much the unit itself affects the running depth of the line. Does anyone know or have an estimation or is there no difference?

24 minutes ago, jlogger said:

I have never run the TDs but have always wondered how much the unit itself affects the running depth of the line. Does anyone know or have an estimation or is there no difference?

Under normal use, one would snap it to your downrigger cable at the ball, not affecting anything 

Edited by stan

You can run them on leadcores or coppers and wire with dipsys as well and I run it where the leader meets the copper or core rather than at the lure itself so that little weight of the instrument the weight is distributed better. At a real slow speed it will make a difference but at high speed this difference is reduced as the copper or leadcore lifts upwards at the lure at the end of the leader and  is pulling so the added weight of the unit itself is in my opinion not all that great an influence and even if so would not amount to more than a few ft in any case. If higher accuracy is neeed perhaps a TempTroll would be better but for the price I'm comfortable with the TD for this particular  thing.

Edited by Sk8man

I line boards and copper are very hard to handle on top of having a big one hooked up... Tried the new big church boards and won't do it again... If you have big boards use them. The td is your only way to get a close depth at that speed.

Sent from my Pixel using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Twinmotors try using the Walleye boards rather than the TX 44's if using 100-300 coppers. They retrieve easier and run fine  even with a 10 color leadcore. If they dive on you they are easier to retrieve too. I seldom use my TX 44's anymore.

Twinmotors try using the Walleye boards rather than the TX 44's if using 100-300 coppers. They retrieve easier and run fine  even with a 10 color leadcore. If they dive on you they are easier to retrieve too. I seldom use my TX 44's anymore.

Yes we tried the tx-44 as they are bad news, but I have big planer boards with an Electric mast so all I'm fighting his line and fish it's much better!

There are advantages to the big boards but also disadvantages. I used to use them even back to the 70's  but these smaller Walleye boards are hard to beat because you don't need the mast etc. setup  and these smaller inlines are much easier to manipulate in "traffic" and run in real shallow. Regardless of what method is preferred being able to get out away from boat turbulence is what it is all about and either method catches fish when used right.

Edited by Sk8man

Absolutely!.. That is why we have to buy all this fun equipment! Everything has its time and place... Honestly, I haven't run my copper is the last couple months because we can barely keep up with 4 dipseys and a couple down riggers.. Been a great year!

2 hours ago, Sk8man said:

:) Some of the best fishing is yet to come as soon as all the recretional boaters get off the lakes.

Absolutely!.. I expect to be doing mostly Walleye in The Cleveland area "Fall Brawl" walleye contest through the rest of pre-ice, except my waterfowl and archery addictions will enter into play!