Adding pennies to my spread

Looking to add 8 coppers rods to my spread. I was going to go with Okuma convector high speed reels matched with the Okuma GLT lead core/copper rods 8’6” and run them off my big boards. I have several questions? I’m going to run 100&150 on 30 size reel,200,250,300 on 45 size reel with the 300 having about 350ft of backing and 350,400,450 on 55. I was going to use 65lb braid. I really don’t see the need for 600+ft of backing? Is it really worth the money for the high speed reels ? What is the best release for the braid and will take the weight of a 450 with FF combo and 11” paddle with Twinkie rig? I’m most likely going with Atomik copper 2000ft bulk spool or the weighted steel line that suppose to be extremely coil resistant? Longer rods? I am willing to spend 1k for the copper in my spread but don’t want to regret something I overlooked trying to save dimes on dollars. I’m a ebay buyer cause there is no place local to even get that gear or advice. Thank you for your input.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It sounds like you're on the right track with the size Okuma reels and lengths of copper. To me the high speed retrieves are worth it on 400 and higher. Convectors for the 300's and Clarion CLR 553LS for the 400-500's. Scotty releases on the heavy setting are the ticket for the boards. The GLT rods are a great value also. Happy shopping. :D

I used to love copper for stealth presentation,dislike it for the chore of reeling it in and hate it for the endless cluster of birds nests which took way too long to unravel. Just this year I discovered weighted steel by "torpedo" products from London, Ontario. It handels nice and smooth, does NOT produce birds nests and has the same sink rate as copper. I'm done with copper and I strongly suggest looking in to the weighted stainless. In my eyes it does all the good stuff that copper does and none of the bad.

Edited by rolmops

In the video by torpedo it looks pretty coil free. I have their wire on my diver rods and have great success with it. I was old school with my spread 4 riggers now run 2 with up to 4 wire dipsy and long cores on boards. This year if I had $ 20 for ever time I heard 300 copper on fire, only rod we moved was 400 copper on the radio I’d have enough money to buy everything at once.

Another thing I like about the convectors is the line counter. If you use the weighted line in combination with the the 19 strand,  You no longer need all the individual lengths because the sink rate of the line stays the same after the weighted line is out and the 19 strand is going down.

200 weighted line gets you 40 feet, but 200 weighted line with an additional 100 feet of 19 gets you 50 feet down and an additional 100 of 19 puts you at sixty.

So if you get a 200, a 300 and a 400 combined with the 19 strand and the line counter you will have covered all your depths while saving space in the boat and money in your pocket.

That is what I will have next year.

On 10/6/2017 at 2:12 PM, Double Dipper said:

Looking to add 8 coppers rods to my spread. I was going to go with Okuma convector high speed reels matched with the Okuma GLT lead core/copper rods 8’6” and run them off my big boards. I have several questions? I’m going to run 100&150 on 30 size reel,200,250,300 on 45 size reel with the 300 having about 350ft of backing and 350,400,450 on 55. I was going to use 65lb braid. I really don’t see the need for 600+ft of backing? Is it really worth the money for the high speed reels ? What is the best release for the braid and will take the weight of a 450 with FF combo and 11” paddle with Twinkie rig? I’m most likely going with Atomik copper 2000ft bulk spool or the weighted steel line that suppose to be extremely coil resistant? Longer rods? I am willing to spend 1k for the copper in my spread but don’t want to regret something I overlooked trying to save dimes on dollars. I’m a ebay buyer cause there is no place local to even get that gear or advice. Thank you for your input.

Your choices on reel sizes are good except i prefer 300 copper on a 55. If  i had my pick i would choose the high speed Okumas all the way. It may not be as noticeable with short coppers but ts a big deal with the longer lengths. Its a lot less work. As for releases, I like Scotty planer board releases for all of my coppers. Long or short it holds them all http://scotty.com/product/no-1177-planer-board-release/). Okuma GLT or Okuma White Diamond copper rods both offer good choice for rod selection.

Excessive braid backing may not be needed but it does make it easier to spool and quick work when you are spooling a bunch of reels. 

Correct me if I'm wrong, Rolmops, but the weighted lines you describe are OK for flat lining down the chute, but how do you deploy 200ft of line then run it out 75-100ft on a board? Lots of weighted line from rod tip to release. Not good.

Edited by UNREEL
Added name

Correct me if I'm wrong, Rolmops, but the weighted lines you describe are OK for flat lining down the chute, but how do you deploy 200ft of line then run it out 75-100ft on a board? Lots of weighted line from rod tip to release. Not good.

There’s no weighted line between the tip and the clip, just the 19 strand which I wrap a rubber band around and then put the band in the clip

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Do most of you spool your own reels with the reverse method. Leader copper braid or use clip on the rod line counter? I got a digital line counter on eBay that’s only 4 1/2 inches in 100 ft paid $26. It works very well when I re-spooled my cores and wire divers.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

1 minute ago, Double Dipper said:

Do most of you spool your own reels with the reverse method. Leader copper braid or use clip on the rod line counter? I got a digital line counter on eBay that’s only 4 1/2 inches in 100 ft paid $26. It works very well when I re-spooled my cores and wire divers.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I use a clip on line counter