walleye stocking lake ontario

john1947

walleye stocking lake ontario

I know Erie is loaded with eyes.I wondered if it would be possible to mass catch some of the eyes in Erie and use them to jump start a walleye population in Lake Ontario.One good thing about our lake is its alot deeper and colder than erie and might offer some good habitat for them.I do know bluefin tuna are caught and held in pens before they are harvested

I asked the same question? I know they stock the ST. Lawrence, some are stocked my a private organization, some are state stocked. I know back in the 80's they used to stock the Black River Bay Area. I can't honestly answer you question do the stock LakeO. Even if they'd pull eyes out of Lake Onieda for good breeding purposes. The thing is with LakeO the king salmon trump all other species!! People come from all walks of life come to hook a King Salmon. Then there's the fish hatcheries that are full of silver fish as the kings are the absolute biggest money maker fish that swims LakeO. So there's no space to hatch the eyes. Plus they claim they don't want anymore predetors to eat up the fingerlins?? Yea I'd like a healthier population of eyes in the lake!! LakeO's silver brings NY gold!!

I don't know that it would even be worthwhile. There are already Walleye in every Lake Ontario bay and tributary from the St. Lawrence to the Niagra, from Quinte to Irondequoit. The Eastern basin is loaded with them. There's nothing stopping them from migrating to the rest of the open water if the habitat were desirable to them. I think they just reject the open water west of Chamount and Henderson.

I tend to agree with bosco. There is a healthy population in the eastern end of the lake. They also are caught in Niagara River and around many tributaries and bays throughout the lake. Since they are known to migrates over large areas I believe they are likely occupying most suitable habitat. Perhaps measures could be taken to improve spawning areas to help increase their numbers.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I do not know of any walleye stocking in Lake O. Canadian side , Getthenet2 : The Ont. MNR stocked walleye in the cesspool of Hamilton harbour [ hopelessly polluted by the steel industry ] . They showed us fish caught ice fishing in the harbour last year at the MNR seminar . One of the attendees asked the MNR would they eat ? Answer " maybe a small one " ! sic !

I told the MNR I go back 60 YEARS fishing wallies in Welland canal and the Niagara River with a very good sport fishery ; poaching ,over harvesting ? by commercial operators plus change of habitant destroyed it!

I suggested that the freighters coming down the Welland canal could carry wallies from lake Erie in livewells and release them in Port Weller [ never give a bureaucrat a good idea ! ]

Walleye is a warm water fishery ; it does not complete with the salmon fishery ! The walleye is an omnivore [ will eat anything and is caniballistic ie will eat each over in rearing ponds ] The fishery can be from shore unlike the big dollar salmon fishery , allowing the less fortunate among us to enjoy the resource

• Like 1

On 10/9/2017 at 9:28 AM, tuffishooker said:

I do not know of any walleye stocking in Lake O. Canadian side , Getthenet2 : The Ont. MNR stocked walleye in the cesspool of Hamilton harbour [ hopelessly polluted by the steel industry ] . They showed us fish caught ice fishing in the harbour last year at the MNR seminar . One of the attendees asked the MNR would they eat ? Answer " maybe a small one " ! sic !

I told the MNR I go back 60 YEARS fishing wallies in Welland canal and the Niagara River with a very good sport fishery ; poaching ,over harvesting ? by commercial operators plus change of habitant destroyed it!

I suggested that the freighters coming down the Welland canal could carry wallies from lake Erie in livewells and release them in Port Weller [ never give a bureaucrat a good idea ! ]

Walleye is a warm water fishery ; it does not complete with the salmon fishery ! The walleye is an omnivore [ will eat anything and is caniballistic ie will eat each over in rearing ponds ] The fishery can be from shore unlike the big dollar salmon fishery , allowing the less fortunate among us to enjoy the resource

I think we could build a great walleye fishery on south shore

Sen schummer just got millions f0r fishery support

Love the freigher idea

Walleye better native fish

I like salmon but high cost

Not every man afford a salmon rig

Kids our future would prefer

Minus sea sickness

Edited by john1947

Walleye are native to Lake Ontario ; the Ontario MNR have done little to improve the fishery with major efforts for the Atlantic salmon yet to be achieved : Note article in Great Lakes Angler Oct/Nov 2017 by Darryl Choronzey " The Biggest Fish Story Never Told-Ontario's Atlantiic Salmon Fiasco "

Ditto on the King is " King " ! But who long can it remain as a mainly put and take sport with our Canadian agenda foe Lake Trout and Atlantics !

• 2 weeks later...

We are blessed with plenty of strong walleye fisheries in NY and only one pacific salmon fishery that also holds plenty of trophy class 'eyes.  I'd vote not to disrupt the lakes' fishery, if you want to try for walleyes on Lake Ontario most of us know where to look even though you likely wont fill a stringer unless you fish them exclusively

• 2 months later...

Walleyes don't disrupt. They have been quietly existing all around the lake for many hundreds of years. I and others have caught big beautiful 'eyes while targeting salmonids, particularly in spring, trolling close to shore. And most know of the eastern lake and bays such as Irondequoit and Sodus and of course the Bay of Quinte. But the salmonids rule....even over the beautiful smallies. Truth is the various species populations locally and regionally are always going up and down for various reasons. Many of which are, on a smaller time scale, created by ourselves, as well as the greater natural environment. Anyway, we are blessed to be able to go to so many places not far away and catch so many beautiful and often tasty types of fish!  :)

I believe even if we stocked the hell out of it on the south shore we would still need to fish the north shore to have catch rates to match that of Lake Erie. Just my opinion?  the north shore has much better fishing for walleye. I believe if there were more fish in the lake our fishing would improve somewhat but the north shore would be great fishing..

The north shores aren’t a walk in the grass either, if you don’t know the migration rout, or the spawning areas you’ll burn a lot of gas and wash a lot of lures. The Black River Bay is know as the walleye area of LakeO after that spawn is over, fill your fuel tanks it’s time to figure them out, there’s some go to spots which hold fish Year after year, but it still changes as the water temp changes, for 30 plus years we booked our Canadian trip on the second week of June and we always did well. Not like that on LakeO. I’m all for blessing Lake Ontario with more eyes, I’d even be willing to pay more for a license if that’s what it takes, but it ain’t gonna happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I do very well on the eyes in Irondequoit Bay in May, July, and August but only at night. I haven’t figured them out in the day and, frankly, with all the drunks and recreational boaters/jet skiers tearing it up out there I’m not inclined to put the time in to find them. I’d heard the DEC had been quietly stocking the bay a bunch of years back but I’ve never caught a tagged one.

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 9:08 AM, Gill-T said:

Walleyes are stocked in Niagara 

Stocked in the lower river there use to be walleye raising ponds on the Canadian side (maybe still) , plenty of eyes in Ontario but no one fishes for them on a regular basis or it's not advertised.

• Like 1

I've got a buddy who charters out of the Genessee and he says he gets an odd ball Walleye now and again while fishing for the trout and salmon but as far as targeting them in the open water apart from the Niagara and St. Lawrence area I would think would be futile.

Stocked in the lower river there use to be walleye raising ponds on the Canadian side (maybe still) , plenty of eyes in Ontario but no one fishes for them on a regular basis or it's not advertised.

I agree. There are over 1 million walleyes that go thru the narrows on the bay of Quinn every year in early spring, they have to be there somewhere. I see guys from the north shore posting pictures of great catches of walleye All the time on other sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app