J-plugs....when do you break them out and start putting them in the pattern? In readings across the internet, they appear to be a lure that works well trolled at faster speeds. During the early season would you put J-plugs in the spread or wait until later, such as in the summer? Also what about size? Smaller J-plugs in the spring and larger in the summer?

Recently I just picked up a few used J-plugs that I reconditioned and would eventually like to use. Down here in Jersey, the smaller size should do well but I have a few of the small, medium and larger sizes. Since I never have used these plugs before, I'm curious what others think and when they use them. Thanks.

[email protected]

pmJ - Some guys run them all year but not too many. Mostly in Central Big-O they're broken out mid/Late August. Definitely a faster running lure. 2.9 mph or better. Silver Bullet with a bloody nose has been a long time favorite of many along with the Glo-grn ladderback. Personally I like the middle size but have found many beat-up larger ones floating on the surface in Sept. (I like to think they're from break-offs and not that some guys don't check their lines like they should. They produce a lot of drag) I've also had a little better luck running the rattle ones.

h.i.h. :)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Thanks Tom. Well I'm only headed up to Lake Ontario in May and figured stickbaits and spoons might work better. I may toy with J-plugs down here in NJ for lake trout. Not sure if they'll work but I figure I can run a large one or two and see if I can hook a trophy. Since we don't have salmon down here and I don't think I'll get up to the Big Lake that often, a J-plug or two may be expendable for a little experimentation. We also have some browns down here but I've been hearing stickbaits work better on them than J-plugs.

[email protected]

PMJ, do not hesitate to run a small J-Plug behind a cow-bell rig for your lake trout. This combo works really well when run along the bottom. Run it slow 1.0 to 1.5 mph.

As far as Spring goes, you can run the small J-Plug off your boards and riggers. Run them back 100 to 135 off your boards and a litltle closer off the riggers. Color choice is dependent on water clearity.

The larger size J-plugs can be included starting in Aug./Sept. timeframe for Kings and Bows.

Capt. Pat Pullinzi

Thanks guys! I've never tried j plugs for lakers. In fact, I've never tried anything but cowbells and a peanut or a spin n glow. I'll pull some J plugs around this summer and see how they compare.

Rod K