conesus weeds dying back already???

we were out on conesus sunday and it appeared that the weeds were looking a little suspect. I'm not too good at reading those things, but the going was tough there that morning for us (we only picked up a few bass) and the other folks we saw out there in the shallows. Just wondering if the die back is happening already and if that could have contributed...

anyone else out there recently have a take on the weed situation?

Maybe not in numbers, but the big fish are there and being caught. I know of 5 different 6+ lb. largies weighed in during club or open tourneys this year. Plenty of 4's and 5's as well. Yes the weeds have set up different, but the fish are still there just maybe moved a bit....

Maybe not in numbers, but the big fish are there and being caught. I know of 5 different 6+ lb. largies weighed in during club or open tourneys this year. Plenty of 4's and 5's as well. Yes the weeds have set up different, but the fish are still there just maybe moved a bit....

I can certainly say the bigguns are in there. we didn't catch many shallow, but my partner and I each picked up a whopper-easily in that 5-6 lb range (my best of the year for sure-and they're back in there for someone else) we just didn't get many others like we expected and wasn't sure if the bite was just off or the fish weren't there in numbers.

I was just trying to understand the nuance between not attracting fish (poor weed fills) and actually repelling fish as the weeds decay (if they in fact are already). in either case the result is the same- not a 'bite issue' its a location thing. I'll have to change strategy and go even deeper next time

thanks

I've never boated on Conesus, but will be there next Saturday for a work picnic at the NE side. Anyone have a good map they can forward? Any suggestions as to where to start out? We'll fish the morning and dusk I believe.

Sindale,

Fish the North end, West side of the lake outside the weedlines throwing spoons, sticks, spinners, or spinnerbaits for pike. If that does not work, troll the deeper edges of any of the points with deep diving cranks for big pike.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_ ... elkmap.pdf

this is the only map I've seen (you probably have it too)

We tried the north end last weekend and per the topic of this thread, the weeds were pretty barren at the north end (not even baitfish) so I'm not sure that the pike and hybrids will be lurking there either if theres nothing to attack.

The very south end saw a lot more activity for us, so if you start north dont stay there too long if nothings happening, and head south.

thinking about conesus myself for tomorrow; weighing the prospects of numbers on honeoye vs potential for size on conesus since my buddy needs a few catches to boost his ego...he's been skunked too many times this year... If I end up there and you see me, swing by...we'll be doing the same slime-er routine as you and I will try to zero you in on a few spots that I know of. Tan/white Nitro 188 F/S

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/conelkmap.pdf

We tried the north end last weekend and per the topic of this thread, the weeds were pretty barren at the north end (not even baitfish) so I'm not sure that the pike and hybrids will be lurking there either if theres nothing to attack.

There is tons of food in the North end for the tigers and northerns. The North end is loaded with bluegills all the time.

Gambler,

have you been out there recently? I'd be interested in your findings, because it was stranglely quiet there this past weekend when I was there at the noth end- saw nothing, heard nothing. Got to the southern end and saw a lot of activity (broken water) and did pick up a pike there myself.

not sayin' I doubt you, my expereince was just a lot different than that. maybe the patterns were just different than I was expecting, who knows.

Very cool, thanks for the help! I'll be out there on the 6th, now thinking about camping F,S & S to put more time in. Are you guys fishing the shorelines, or drop shotting in the deeper water? Looks like there are a few nice drop-offs around the points in the middle of the lake. Good luck this weekend, and I'll look forward to your post. I'll be out of Braddocks hunting for smallies!

have you been out there recently? I'd be interested in your findings, because it was stranglely quiet there this past weekend when I was there at the noth end- saw nothing, heard nothing. Got to the southern end and saw a lot of activity (broken water) and did pick up a pike there myself.

Have seen similar results Nitro. We have seen very good pike action along the south eastern portion of the lake the last couple weeks, especially towards night.

hey SinDale

sorry, got no updates for you. hit honeoye instead for a bunch of dink bass. at least my buddy saw some good action- 2 on consecutive casts even.

similar situation to conesus though, mostly ratty looking weeds but there were some areas the weeds are still looking good and producing. I would suspect the fall patterns will be in full effect while you're there as the fish are starting to run deeper already in some area, so plan accordingly. trolling a bit deeper off the drop offs might be a good plan over casting.

I will be on chautauqua next weekend for a guided musky 'lesson' so I wont see you. good luck on your first conesus outing. let us know how you do.

Will do. I was talking to an uncle of mine tonight and he told me he used to catch them just north of the public launch just off the weedlines too. Can't wait to see what the lake has to offer. Good luck hunting down musky! I caught my first one in June near Cape Vincent!