Cayuga Cayuga 10/8

Cayuga 10/8

The only good thing was no fleas! Temps were deep. we got some short salmon and a couple of small lakers. Lost a  nice brown 50' behind the boat. Weeds are still a big problem. All spoon bite . almost every time we pulled rods they were fouled with weeds. Marked tons of bait and one of the lakers I cleaned had three smelt in his gut. I have not seen that in years.   Wes

Thanks for the report Wes. With the rain today it looks as though we will have our hands full with water conditions during the LOUALL on Saturday.

Les, 

Are you trying to trick me to get me out of the competition:lol: The derby is on Sunday. I'm looking forward to meeting you.We have both been doing this for a long time. It has been hard for me since my boy passed away tree years ago. He was a better fisherman than I but the  two of us made a great team. He made me promise that I would keep fishing and I hope to do well this weekend in his honor. I think the big lakers are still in spawn mode.   Wes

Good one Wes:lol: It was worth a try:)

I too look forward to meeting with you and other LOU members. I also know how special that bond with a son is as I have been fishing with mine since he was 2 1/2 years old and I felt terrible about your son's passing. I'm sure he will be looking down from above and squeezing for you this weekend:) and it is a great way to honor his memory:yes:

We were never out to win, we just loved all the planning and trying new things. He had great respect for the outdoors and I remember one LOU derby we had three 9lb lakers in the box and we caught a 5 lb rainbow. The rainbows were scarce in those days and we decided to release that fish even though we needed it for our five fish box. I think we are in for some good fishing over the next few years. With reduced laker stocking and larger creel limit, more pressure from other lakes that are not doing well the fish numbers will be down but the size and health of the fish will be better. With the amount of bait I have been seeing it might be tougher fishing because they have so much to eat. I love the challenge more than filling a box so I am O.K. with that.  Wes

Edited by quality time