7lb smallie out of Hughes Marina

krux5506

I'm still working to get myself past the 6# mark, most folks don't realize how big a 6#+ smallie is, not to mention the fight a smallie gives, I've often thought the downward continuous pull was a decent eye, till it started to come up to the surface, dance and dive back down!! Congrats to your 7#er !!

I had the greatest smallmouth fishing of my lifetime off the point of Galloo by the green can. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time. A huge school of feeders must of came up on that flat, if my uncle and I didn't catch 50-60 fish in that hour let lightning strike my azz, we fished off all our crabs, then our night crawlers all off of a 1/8oz jig head, put on yellow curly tails till they were gone, fished a bare jig and still caught them!! Just as fast as it started it stopped HUH, well that was fun. The next day we went back same time same place and couldn't buy a fish. We still talk. About that day!!!  All those fish were 4#+ awesome day, great memories with my uncle!!  Probably never have another day like that again!!

That is a brute.  There are many fisheries around the state producing smallmouths in excess of 6 pounds.  The largest I know of on Otisco was 7 pounds 14 ounces.  We had many over 6 but nothing over 7 yet.  I remember when fish like that were absolutely unheard of....

Beautiful fish. The biggest smallies i catch are always unintended..... walleye or muskie fishing on SLR. Have caught 2 monster smallies (6lb class) while trolling skies....hit a 900 refer on the planer board. They jump like hell. Lol. Amazing fish. A big smallie never disappoints.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I truely beleive since the smallies decided to add those slimy gobies to their diet, the sky is the limit as for size of the smallies, plus they are hardy fish and easy to release. I truely think the next record fish for NY will come out of the SLR. Or LakeO.

I dont think the bass taste as good as they used to from a table fare perspective. Not sure if that is related to the increasingly gobie rich diet or if its a localized thing or maybe im just crazy, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United