Bears eating my cameras

Bears eating my cameras

This past year I've had 3 cameras chewed or knocked off the tree by bears, some numerous times. I've gotten some good pics of their teeth, ears and noses. At first I thought they prefered the Cuddiback units but lately they moved on to the other brands. I don't know if its the smell of plastic that attracts them or the sound. I hope some of them stick around for archery bear season. By rifle season the food selection changes and they move out. This is in north central PA.

I've lost a good many cameras over the years to bears. Still get 1 or 2 chewed up every year and the camera cages don't save a dam thing. Lol.
Let me know if you find something that works.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

animal behavior is puzzling. we plant a lot of trees and protect them with like a corrugated plastic cardboard tree tube. no fail, 3 to 4 times a week I find a tube pulled down and chewed up by must be a fox or fisher. some smaller sized predator with sharp teeth. the best I can figure they're just using it as a playtoy. I've caught a fisher on camera in the vicinity of the tree tubes but never caught one in the act. to be continued...

Edited by WoodieBoater

Might be them trying to figure out what your scent is... I've never seen a bear in my life until bow season a few years ago hunting in potter ny, I seen many deer walk by stand that night then next thing I know a bear had his nose down following the trail I walked right to my stand!..talk about adrenaline rush!

I just hope the wardens don't think using cameras is "baiting". Although I did think of putting all my old cameras around my stand. I'm sure its the human scent because I had a bear walk by and as soon as it caught my scent it returned to the base of my ladder and looked up at me.

Bears eating my cameras This past year I've had 3 cameras chewed or knocked off the tree by bears, some numerous times. I've gotten some good pics of their teeth, ears and noses. At first I thought they prefered the Cuddiback units but lately they moved on to the other brands. I don't know if its the smell of plastic that attracts them or the sound. I hope some of them stick around for archery bear season. By rifle season the food selection changes and they move out. This is in north central PA.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app